2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an odd noise coming from near the (generator?) belt on the left of the 2.2 Diesel engine. Sounds a little bit like either something rubbing or scraping. I've attached a video of the noise.. Any ideas?

https://vimeo.com/168474081

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
There are a few things that might make a noise in that area, alternator pulley is a common one. Hopefully it isn't the timing chains, but that's relatively rare. You'll need to pin it down by listening via a tube. Timing chain noise is far worse with a fully warmed-up engine at idle.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose having a dodgy bearing wouldn't actually stop the alternator charging would it?.. I heard that noise for the first time last night and now the car had a flat battery.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
I'm unsure of the failure modes of the alternator pulley clutch mechanism, but I doubt it'd completely cut off the drive to the alternator. And, if it did, you'd get a warning light anyway.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, thanks for the advice. The engine doesn't seem noisier at idle when hot so hopefully it's not the chain.

The car is going in for service on the 20th so I'll ask them to look into the belt. Thanks Jon :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts