2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My type r has developed a whirring noise which sounds as if its coming from the rear off side. Its only audible on slowing or braking (I dont have to be braking) and has got increasingly worse just lately.

also have to pump the clutch when cold to get it into reverse. No problems into other gears. Is this a sign of the gear box going ?

Thanks people - just want some idea of these probs before I take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Whirring from rear end should not be to serious as all youve got there are brakes and bearings. It could be something caught in the brakes, but i doubt it, also unlikely to be worn brakes as that normally gives a high pitch noise. So i would think its the wheel bearing, which is nothing serious.

I doubt the reverse issue is the gearbox, as yours is an 02 car i would think its the clutch starting to go. Do you find when you are pulling away that the biting point is near the top of the pedal travel, if it is then this would back it up.

Get it looked at, but i would think you are just looking at ware and tear issues, should have plenty of life left in it yet. My brother in laws type r is now on 180,000 miles.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. Will get the bearings looked at. Need new tyres on the back, worn unevenly to the limit. That may have something to do with it.

Clutch does bite near the top. I suppose they get through more clutches than the average car !! Mind you not the way I drive. I've been accused of driving it like a Fiesta- the nerve !!:oops:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been to kwik fit this morning. Guy popped it up on the ramp and showed me there was no play in the wheel so not bearings. Discs very rusty and tyres both need replacing so booked in for discs pads and tyres (Pirelli p-zero nero) - £430 all in which I dont think sounds too bad.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi
Glad it was nothing serious.
Next time somebody says you drive it like a Fiesta, give them a spin round the block and give it 8000rpm in 2nd....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts