2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my CTR now for 9 months or so, and I'm coming up to 18,000 miles...

Now.. has anybody else noticed that under heavy breaking there's a juddering sound/feeling in the brake pedal?

I thought that it's possibly the two soft rubber parts on the front bumper scraping.. but I was just wondering if anybody else has had the same?

Cheers guys, and girls.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I totally agree with James and R-2. I can't see that there would be anything scraping against the bumper and if there is then you have a issue.

I'm guessing you've not had any impact to the car on the front which could make you think that things are scraping?

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
If its not the ABS working it could be warped discs.
I concur, but I am no mechanic...... Many, many years ago this happened on a much earlier Honda Civic I owned. The dealer diagnosed the brake discs being unevenly worn/warped. I understand the discs can either be skimmed or failing that, have to be replaced. Mind you I don't think the early Civic I refer to did have ABS.

·
P1259 ODB-II
267 Posts
Part of the Honda MAC training day was to experience the ABS working.

Basically give this a try.

Find a nice straight bit of road / car park.
Get up to about 30 mph.
Check behind you for an empty road.
Nail the brake pedal as if something big and hairy is stood in the way.

The brake pedal should shake violently under foot and vibrate lots.
If it doesn't then you haven't stamped on the brake enough (Try harder!).

This is the basic test we went though on the day with the ex-police instructor sat beside me. Don't forget ABS isn't there to stop you quicker. It's there to give you the ability to steer around something instead of skidding uncontrolled straight to the scene of the accident.

If the brakes wobble when just gently applying the brake then it sounds like warped discs, ie too many miles round a race track and then clamping the hand brake on hard. Get them replaced or at least skimmed to improve that stopping time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had this happen to me again yesterday, and it's definitely not the ABS.

It's more of a scraping than a juddering, (the judder appears to be the scraping matching the road surface) and it's definitely coming from the front end.. I think a trip to the stealers is in order.

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
I had this happen to me again yesterday, and it's definitely not the ABS.

It's more of a scraping than a juddering, (the judder appears to be the scraping matching the road surface) and it's definitely coming from the front end.. I think a trip to the stealers is in order.
Just a thought, with your mileage, it could possibly be that your front brake pads are sufficiently worn down to allow the metal built in audible sensor to come into contact with the actual disc. This can produce a 'scraping noise', it has happened to me on yet another previous Civic. The pads are alerting you to the fact they need replacing, if this is the case. There again, as I have mentioned previously, I am no mechanic.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a thought, with your mileage, it could possibly be that your front brake pads are sufficiently worn down to allow the metal built in audible sensor to come into contact with the actual disc. This can produce a 'scraping noise', it has happened to me on yet another previous Civic. The pads are alerting you to the fact they need replacing, if this is the case. There again, as I have mentioned previously, I am no mechanic.
It's happened from new, and my pads are in good condition for their mileage too.

I'm sure the dealer will come up with a "solution"

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
It's happened from new, and my pads are in good condition for their mileage too.

I'm sure the dealer will come up with a "solution"
If it's happened from new there is obviously something amiss, I am sorry to say. Let's hope your dealer sorts it for you asap. Good luck. Perhaps you will kindly enlighten us all as to the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont know if this is the same problem but after a period of heavy braking (doing the EVO traingle on a trip to wales :)) I experienced very severe brake judder that caused the whole car to shake and had the steering wheel fighting my hands even under slight brake pressure. It was like the brake discs were badly warped but this was not the case and it definately wasnt the ABS as I know what that feels like. It was also accompanied by a lot of grinding noise, which couldnt have been worn pads because I only had 5000miles on the car.

After a stop to look and finding nothing wrong, about 15 mins of sedate driving later the problem lessened and then went away never to appear again (I hope!). I can only assume it was a problem caused by overheating brakes but as of yet I havent got any idea how, and its even stumped my mechanic friends! I was just wondering if any one else has experienced this or something similar?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
That does sound bad. Does the car roll OK when the brakes are released ?. My first thought would be a seized caliper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes it is a Type R, and it rolls just fine when the brakes are released so I doubt it was a seized caliper. I have come to notice the problem coming back occassionally but nowhere near as extreme as the first time and only with prolonged heavy braking. To be honest I find the brakes on the Type R to be the worst part of the car. They do stop the car well initially but I find that they do suffer from quite bad fade and overheat quite quickly after some swift driving. Other than that though the rest of the car is brilliant and keeps me grinning all the time!

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I've had my CTR now for 9 months or so, and I'm coming up to 18,000 miles...

Now.. has anybody else noticed that under heavy breaking there's a juddering sound/feeling in the brake pedal?

I thought that it's possibly the two soft rubber parts on the front bumper scraping.. but I was just wondering if anybody else has had the same?

Cheers guys, and girls.
If it`s only under heavy braking then it is the ABS system working to prolong your life :D:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts