2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i got a problem recently i took my car to car wash when it come out drive way as i steer i could hear a sound comming from passenger side wheel.light tapping noise.either drive shaft steering.i never asked anybody yet to hear it from out side as i move the steering it even comes when driving.any suggestions please.thanks

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
hi i got a problem recently i took my car to car wash when it come out drive way as i steer i could hear a sound comming from passenger side wheel.light tapping noise.either drive shaft steering.i never asked anybody yet to hear it from out side as i move the steering it even comes when driving.any suggestions please.thanks
I have a service in a couple of weeks and I am going to get them to check a similar noise for me. The noise on mine :

- is there when you full-lock the wheel clockwise and drive slowly (like a slow, tight right exit from a junction)
- disappears when you put the clutch in
- sounds like a dull tick, tick, tick from inside
- sounds like a metallic clink, clink, clink from outside.

Really odd!

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I have a service in a couple of weeks and I am going to get them to check a similar noise for me. The noise on mine :

- is there when you full-lock the wheel clockwise and drive slowly (like a slow, tight right exit from a junction)

Really odd!
This sounds like it could be a CV joint, this is the drive shaft joint which is located just behind the hub and has a rubber boot around it.
Hope this is of some help

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
ive noticed this in the last week...
like a really faint noise when turning the wheel quite a bit - noticed it 3 times this week when leaving a multistory car-park....

wierd

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
This sounds like it could be a CV joint, this is the drive shaft joint which is located just behind the hub and has a rubber boot around it.
Hope this is of some help
Why would it disappear instantly and completely as soon I press the clutch in if the car is still moving? I would have though if it was a CV joint that it would continue as long as I was moving?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Why would it disappear instantly and completely as soon I press the clutch in if the car is still moving? I would have though if it was a CV joint that it would continue as long as I was moving?
This would happen because the load is taken off the drive shaft.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey just checked my car.its not the cv joint its comming from inside the suspension like when i turn seems to hear more on inside then out side.does no body else had this problem i try putting wd 40 on now.see what happends tomorrow

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
hey just checked my car.its not the cv joint its comming from inside the suspension like when i turn seems to hear more on inside then out side.does no body else had this problem i try putting wd 40 on now.see what happends tomorrow
Not sure I know where you mean! but I hope this does the trick, let us know how you get on

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what you mean load?i try everything wd40 spray that lots noise still there like so iratating plus im worried about th cost.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
what you mean load?i try everything wd 40 spray that lots noise still there like so irritating plus im worried about Th cost.
Load = force/torque on the drive shaft. I am not sure how else to explain it, you will not be able to get WD40 in the CV joint. I think you should have it looked at by a friendly mechanic. A professional mechanic will know straight away if he hears it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Try to determine if the noise occurs when you are turning the steering wheel, or when the car is turning with the steering held in position.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no its not when car is turning because i get the noise even when car is stopped i will take to a garage soon but i rather not waste time with them long story..must say i cant see it being cv joint cuz the noise is comming from top of tyre by suspension u see.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you get the noise when the car is stopped it will be something to do with the suspension strut or steering, not the CV joint. I had the top swivel joint replaced for a simitar noise, sorry to say it only fixed it for a few months.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts

Really odd!
Fixed under warranty (although I have to pick it up and test it yet). Apparently a joint in the drive shaft (?). No idea which one that would be.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I'm also hearing a noise from the steering on the passenger side, only really heard at full lock at low speed. On my car it kind of sounds kind of like a grinding sound. I put it in for several faults a couple of months ago and took it for a drive with a mechanic. I think he ended up replacing a bump stop but its obviously not the cause as the noise is still there.

It'll be going in shortly to have several things checked/ fixed, most of which have been faults for some time. If only Honda could fix them! :banghead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts