2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pleased to say that my a/c does work - it's a god send at the moment.

However, the blower fan is quite noisy, and I've also noticed that it doesn't give quite as much air as I remember. It seems to change speed as you go around corners as well, i.e. it seems to sometimes speed up when you go around a corner, which is a bit weird.

Leaving work today, with an interior you could cook eggs on, the fan did not come on at all for a few minutes - not the usual thing where it comes on a bit and then properly kicks in after 30 seconds or so - just nothing at all for the first few minutes. Once it came on it was on, and it got the car cool, so I can't complain, but I did have the weird 'fan speeds up on roundabouts' thing going on. I went out in the car again later and it did the same thing - nothing at all for a few minutes and then came on. Temperature outside was about 30 degrees, if that might have a bearing? I took the car to France four years ago and it was hotter there and it never did this, so I don't think that's the issue, but the car was 4 years younger then I guess.

I replaced the pollen filter tonight. The old one was grey, but not horrific. No bits of leaf or twigs or anything! It is a couple of years old though I think - the plastic clip that holds the cover on has snapped so changing it involves Duck Tape and messing about, so I've not done it as often as I should. The fan came on straight away when I started the car but there didn't seem to be that much more air flow. I'll assess it more driving to work tomorrow.

Couple of questions - I'm thinking maybe the blower motor is beginning to fail? Changing it looks problematic becuause 1) you have to remove the clutch pedal and 2) you can't get a new fan anymore, so anything I fit might be almost as worn as mine.

Has anyone had any luck with repairing a blower or replacing the bushes, or buying a reconditioned one? Removing the clutch pedal is probably beyond my skills, especially as I don't have a drive to work on, so I'm loathed to pay the garage to do it to fit a motor that might be barely better than mine.

Of course it might not be the motor - any other thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update to this in case it helps others:

I changed the regulator / resistor pack thing that sits to the left of the clutch but it made no difference (I sort of expected this as I replaced the original, 11 year old one last year when it failed, so the one in there is almost new) For £15 it was worth a shot because the symptom (fan doesn't work) was the same as when the resistor did fail.

I think either there is something in the fan, or the bearings / motor is excessively worn - if you hit the under-dash area to the left of your left knee (RHD car) the fan - which is just behind there - starts. You have to hit it quite hard, and the fan is noise than it should be, but it does come on.

Now I need to get a replacement fan and - having looked on YouTube - pay someone to fit it - it is hella awkward to get to the space where the fan is and you need to remove the clutch pedal to do so. There are no new fans around so it'll be a secondhand one, which I'm not that happy about as it might not have much life left in it, but I'm hoping I can take my old one apart and work out what the motor specs are so I can replace it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,735 Posts
I’m having a few issues with my fan, works when it wants, comes on stays on, turn engine of and on and doesn’t come on, the it does work, so intermittent. Fan is pretty noisy, did put it down to the heater blower resistor as this seems to be a common fault and makes the fan and heat intermittent working.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m having a few issues with my fan, works when it wants, comes on stays on, turn engine of and on and doesn’t come on, the it does work, so intermittent. Fan is pretty noisy, did put it down to the heater blower resistor as this seems to be a common fault and makes the fan and heat intermittent working.
I replaced my resistor last year - the symptom them was it didn't work at all (in the end, at least, it was a bit hit and miss - as you describe - for a short while but it went from 'fine' to 'not working at all' over only about a fortnight)

I tried another new one just in case the other day but it still has the same symptom - the fan generally doesn't come on.

As I said above, I think it's the bearings or something in the motor, like it's getting 'stuck' in part of the rotation, so once you punch the right bit of dash, it joggles the motor free of the sticky part of the rotation, and once it has momentum it's the fine. This would also explain why, before I realised you could hit it into life, it would sometimes come on spontaneously if I hit a bump or went around a roundabout. I always turn the fan up to full manually before hitting the dash to make sure it gets as much power / momentum as possible when starting up.

Good luck with yours - keep us up to date.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,735 Posts
Blower working, but very poorly, turn on fully but very little flow. A fan is also making noise like somebody is tapping really fast, possibly bearings of the fan. Now the noise sounds like it’s coming from the middle of the dash. Now does one fan feed all the ports for the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts