2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2008 Civic EX 2.2 Cdti. I originally thought my blower motor was on its way out due to the rattling and humming when on high speeds and turning corners but realised that the noise is from much higher up, it sound like it is coming from the vent in the centre of the dashboard which clears the windscreen, it can also be heard from inside the engine bay from the same area.

It is permanently on when blowers are on full but when on lower speed only comes on when turning corners and usually stops, but just recently it keeps going, so is definately getting worse!

But the strange thing I found is when it is running on med/high and the noise is constant I can stop the noise by turning my temp to low and then back on by switching to high. The noise stops/starts within a second of adjusting the temp!

I thought it could be something stuck in the vent but the noise is on even if the blowers are diverted to my feet.

Any advice will be appreciated, I am a bit hesitant to book in to the garage with no knowledge of what it could be and how expensive it might be!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all no replies yet but just noticed the following on a similar forum.....

ive had this noise for a while now as well... right up til 5 minutes ago... i decided to get in there and check it out. i popped the cover off the underside of the glove box (panel held on by clips) and removed the blower assembly and sure enuff. its clean as a whistle... so i turn it on and it spins freely and makes no noise... but i still hear the buzzing sound. ***? so i turn it on and off a few times and i found out the noise is from the fan under the hood. so i get in there and sure enuff there was a wiring harness hitting the fan blades on the fan over the condenser (imm assuming thats what its called i dont know anything about a/c components) so i tie the harness out of the way and now the a/c is back to pure silence like when it was brand new!

I'm not entirely sure if this is related to the UK/Euro Civic or the US but sounds like a very similar problem to mine, do i have an additional fan in that area?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm starting to think i'm going mad now, I have started answering myself on Forums! been talking to myself for years now so it was only a matter of time.

Just found the following diagram which blows out my idea of the extra fan, assuming its for the right car!

just google the following and the pic should come up, you might have to click images.

civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/PNG/SNB6E11G10100000000DAAD02.PNG

Am I right in thinking that the pipe in the top centre entering the cabin area is the only inlet for the blower air and it could be a leaf or something stuck in that area? that is exactly where I hear the noise coming from.

If I cannot gain access from inside the cabin is it easy enough to get to from the engine bay?

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
Hehe, talking to yourself happens to us all eventually.

You won't get to the dash vents from the engine bay, you'll need to disassemble the dash. This isn't as tricky as it sounds. Take a look at some of the DDIN or reversing camera How To threads.

Also have you seen the Ling's Honda website? Enter your model/year and you will find all manner of useful exploded diagrams ;)

Good luck tracking down the noise, it sounds like you're getting closer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for the link to lings, the diagrams will come in handy, also found the dashboard removal info handy in the reversing camera how to. Just need to buy a reversing camera as well now! there was also something mentioned in about power folding modules for mirrors!!!! Now I have 2 more jobs to do. to think I only wanted to stop the noise.

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
Jobs can easily escalate, tis a slippery slope. Fun tho and both you and your car will benefit ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update for anyone interested, It turns out it was a faulty blower motor and I finally got round to replacing it, it all went easy enough and the job was fairly simple, the only issue I had was putting the pin back in the rear of the clutch pedal!! after about 100+ attempts I dropped it behind the carpet and had to buy another one which went in first try?? Thinking I probably just needed the break.

Many thanks to all on the forums for there help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts