2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - my first post, and I'm afraid it's not very original, and it's a massive essay... but hopefully some people find it worth reading ;)

I'm looking at getting a Civic Type S GT in a few months, engine undecided.

I'm 22 and my car history until now has been:

02 Renault Clio 1.2 16v - - sold after almost 2 years

01 Toyota Yaris 1.5 T Sport - - sold after 6 months (didn't appreciate it!)

00 Toyota MR2 Roadster 1.8 - - wrote it off :( RWD and mid engine caught me out when I was still getting used to it

04 Toyota Corolla T3 1.6 - - sold after a few months as I wanted a cheap run around for going to Uni.....

02 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi (a low point [smilie=sad.gif]) - - sold after 6 agonising months and a mushroom cloud-esque explosion of smoke out of the exhaust one day on the motorway

02 Toyota Yaris 1.5 T Sport - - another cheap runabout and by far the best car I've had, even better than my first one, I swapped it for above piece of crap plus £50 to seller and never looked back. Had 150k miles on it when I bought it, and didn't miss a beat despite not being serviced by me or much beforehand. Had 168k on it when it was cut down in its prime.

which brings me to now....

00 Nissan Micra 1.0 GX - - writing this you're wondering where it all went wrong, but there is a reason! After the accident I only had 4 months before I left to go work in Belgium for 3 months over the summer on a placement. I figured I'd save that money plus my student loans between accident and coming back, then treat myself afterwards. Micra was £500 which had a couple of months tax and a full years MOT and was in great condition with 95k on it - hoping to sell for close to that again!

I've always driven petrol before now, my only decent term experiences in diesel cars was a 6 month or so stint in a 1.5dCi 02 Clio (it was on it's way out from before I even got it) which I hated every minute of - that car was a lesson well learned.

That was followed up much (2 years or so) later by 3 weeks in a courtesy car when my last (and favourite which I had for the whole 2 years :( ) car was written off by an idiot who drove straight through a crossroads; it was a 10 or 11 Focus 1.6 TDCI Sport. I wasn't a massive fan of it either to be honest, it felt underpowered and I preferred the progressive but ever-present torque of my previous cars as opposed to the big lump or torque (impressive though it was) of the diesel.

There's no doubt in my mind that I had not fully adjusted to driving a diesel before I gave it back to the hire company, and as such probably didn't enjoy it as much as I probably could have - everywhere I read great reviews about the Focus, and while it was a nice car, I'd have taken my T Sport with 168k again every day of the week.

So!

That brings me to now, and I've got a question which I'll post over in the general section!

Cheers,
Ben

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Welcome along Ben

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Welcome. The 2.2 aint so bad, i also HATED!! my 206 diesel, HATED! a renault clio diesel and really love my 2.2 :D even though i said never diesel again :lol: p.s. i still miss the sound of petrol though :( get a type R :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. The 2.2 aint so bad, i also HATED!! my 206 diesel, HATED! a renault clio diesel and really love my 2.2 :D even though i said never diesel again :lol: p.s. i still miss the sound of petrol though :( get a type R :lol:
Unfortunately due to insurance prices, Type R is completely out of the question lol.

Same about diesels tho, I said I wouldn't have another one given the torrid experience with the Clio, but after driving the Focus hire car, it wasn't nearly as bad - it just didn't really do it for me.

Will have to go drive a 2.2 I think.

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum :D

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
hey dude! where bouts you in craiggy island?

Im from there myself, had a grey civic type neo ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts