2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Civ Info Forum Contributors,

My Civic is a 2006 1.8 Sport.

I'm part way through diagnosing an A/C that won't blow cold air, and would appreciate some help to check what to do next:
1) A/C not cooling - reported when in for last service
2) During the service, paid (some absolute cowboys) to re-gas the system, was told it was working, several days later, it doesn't work (I don't know if it ever actually did blow cold after the re-gas)
3) Replaced the famous relay with the Mitsuba part.
4) Still not cooling - no click or rev-drop when I switch on A/C
5) Heater works, so possibly not a problem of temperature sensing...

So I'm thinking
- the gas is good, as long as there hasn't been a leak
- the relay is good (but why isn't it clicking, or is the click actually the compressor?)

Is there anything else I can do to narrow it down?

And if anyone knows a good mechanic near Watford....

Thanks,
Al

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
Dear Civ Info Forum Contributors,

My Civic is a 2006 1.8 Sport.

I'm part way through diagnosing an A/C that won't blow cold air, and would appreciate some help to check what to do next:
1) A/C not cooling - reported when in for last service
2) During the service, paid (some absolute cowboys) to re-gas the system, was told it was working, several days later, it doesn't work (I don't know if it ever actually did blow cold after the re-gas)
3) Replaced the famous relay with the Mitsuba part.
4) Still not cooling - no click or rev-drop when I switch on A/C
5) Heater works, so possibly not a problem of temperature sensing...

So I'm thinking
- the gas is good, as long as there hasn't been a leak
- the relay is good (but why isn't it clicking, or is the click actually the compressor?)

Is there anything else I can do to narrow it down?

And if anyone knows a good mechanic near Watford....

Thanks,
Al
It's fine to re-gass but did they check for a leak before they did? Schoolboy error if they didn't.
I've said this time and time again. If you only use your AC in the summer the chances are there'll be no gas in it when you go to use it as the seals dry up and the gas escapes.. AC needs to be ran at least once a week all year round.. As the Civic is Climate Control I run it all year round at 21c.

If there's no leak and the relay didn't fix it you may find it's the clutch on the AC motor..

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
@Alstal, welcome to :civinfo:

I wouldn't presume the gas is okay now, as it may have leaked out again if the original fault was not properly investigated. Low gas means no AC functions, so compressor operation.

Hopefully they regas'd with UV dye so you can now trace any leaks. Pay particular attention to the condensor and it's unions to the pipework. It's position is prone to stone damage but on a vehicle of your age, then it could also be the o-rings are all dried up.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts