2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for this but I could do with some very specific information on third party satnav.

My wife, Jane, has recently begun to travel extensively as part of her job. Unfortunately she does not have the benefit of driving a Civic EX and although she has tried using our Garmin Quest it is not very easy to see and and the voice directions are somewhat lacking.

She has been quite impressed by the Civic satnav, especially with it's spot on voice directions and particularly it's ability to announce 'next exit' on roundabouts just as you pass the one before (if you see what I mean).

So, my question is, in the real world of users, can anyone recommend a satnav that, in their experience, gives clear concise and accurate voice directions?

I think that given the miles Jane will drive, Bluetooth, Traffic info and speed cameras, or a combination would be advantageous too.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
712 Posts
You can't go wrong with TomTom, if she will only be driving in the UK get her the TomTom onve V2 regional, Halfords had them at £149 last week. They are the base model but work really well, are a good size, i.e. big enough screen but not huge case and they have the best user interface.

·
Administrator
21,168 Posts
There is also a TomTom One EX now with a larger screen.

Not seen one yet, only the advertising.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
The Nûvi 610/660 is a very good product. It has yet an integrated FM Transmitter so you can have directly all info through the loudspeaker of the car, a very good Bluetooth system able to "read" the text message, performing voice guidance and accurate mapping, very easy to use, plus you can have speed camera database, it as an integrated Traffic information system, a MP3 Player, audio book player, Pictures Player and so on

·
Registered
76 Posts
i would gofor tom tom i have a ex with sat nav i also have a medion i have had for a few years but if i ever went on a long run i would always take my tom tom

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I have pioneer sat nav, slim and light, also has benefits of Bluetooth, speed camera and has also European loaded.

Turn by turn features, i find it sufficient for what i need.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Another vote for Garmin Nuvi series. Excellent product, lovely clear maps, and speed camera database.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Take a look at the HP Travel Companion rx5935.
It comes preloaded with TomTom 6 and Western Europe Maps.
The supplied mount works well in the Civic.
I've uploaded pictures elsewhere on this forum

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas.

They all sound like they would fit the bill and I don't want to be pedantic, but how acurate are the voice directions?

Jane has nearly thrown the Quest out of the window several times because the directions have been unclear and she has ended up missing a turn.

For example she had a 40 minute extra trip round Luton the other morning because Quest didn't pick up on the entrance to a commercial park on a roundabout and gave the wrong exit number to take.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i use TomTom 5 on a PDA, works very well.

Only downside is the constant need to remove it to avoid the thieving toe rags of society removing it form my possession.

So, one thing to consider is ease of removal as i would be inclined to take it out of the car (and any evidence of a 3rd party sat nav even being present i.e. the holder etc).

R.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have no personal experience of different makes/models, but I can tell you that I am very satisfied with my TomTom One V2 (regional). I read a lot of reviews before I decided to buy this navigator, and it hasn´t disappointed me yet. :)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Whatever Sat Nav you end up with, try and remove the marks on the screen when you park up, hide the leads etc.

That should stop the little bu**ers breaking in to get to it.

......and when you fill up with fuel make sure the vehicle is locked.

My pal has his taken when he was paying for fuel last year.

There are lots of naughty people out there.

Not here of course, everyone is so nice here!

"It is always the best policy to tell the truth, unless, of course, you are a very good liar!"

Charles H.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info.

We will go out and look at some this weekend taking all the points including ease of removal into account:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts