2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, i bet these crop up time and time again, but it seems the prices of 8th Gen Civics is all over the place

I have finally decided to start looking at a replacement for my Type S-GT 1.8 petrol, and the first job is to try and work out what mine is worth when i get asked the inevitable question from a dealer "ow much ya want for it mate?"

So looking on Autotrader for cars of a similar milage and age to mine (59 plate, 65,000 miles), prices range from £3200 (08 plate) up to £5500 (10 plate)

And not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but mine is in excellent nick

Considering i paid £5800 for 5 years ago, i'm amazed they are still holding good value

So, "what's it worth gov?"

Or rather, what would you consider a good "trade in" price

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,448 Posts
I had a 57 plate 2.2 ES with 157K on it and got £1500 trade in 4 year ago to give you a general price. A dealer is not going to give a stuff what you have done to it or how much you paid for it as a car of that age will go straight to Auction. When I traded mine 4 year ago the dealer didn't even take the time to go look at the condition of the car. Weren't even interested in the comprehensive service history either.

If you want a decent price I'd say sell it privately.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 57 plate 2.2 ES with 157K on it and got £1500 trade in 4 year ago to give you a general price. A dealer is not going to give a stuff what you have done to it or how much you paid for it as a car of that age will go straight to Auction. When I traded mine 4 year ago the dealer didn't even take the time to go look at the condition of the car. Weren't even interested in the comprehensive service history either.

If you want a decent price I'd say sell it privately.
Yeah, unfortunatly its not really practical to sell it privately (the car i want isn't the most common, so will take some time to find the right one)

As for what i've done to it, it's pretty much stock anyway, apart from the headunit, rear spoiler and rear tints, and i know full well mods don't add value

Main reason i ask (and why i've decieded to sell) is my other half just traded her (quite loppy) 08 plate Beetle Convertible (with engine management light on) in for a 4 year old DS3, and got offered £2000 trade in, i was amazed she got offered that much, i was thinking a grand tops

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
If you are looking to get the most for it, private is the way to go. Failing that, try and return it to stock as much as you can and sell the extras. The headunit with fascia and connect2 will fetch a fair bit for example, if you still have the original headunit to slot back in. The spare wheel is another easy £50. It all adds up and the part ex value won't change as they won't care with a care going straight to auction anyway. puts on selfish hat What headunit is it btw?? Am in the market for one :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are looking to get the most for it, private is the way to go. Failing that, try and return it to stock as much as you can and sell the extras. The headunit with fascia and connect2 will fetch a fair bit for example, if you still have the original headunit to slot back in. The spare wheel is another easy £50. It all adds up and the part ex value won't change as they won't care with a care going straight to auction anyway. puts on selfish hat What headunit is it btw?? Am in the market for one :D
Yeah, had already palnned on removing the headunit anyway, as i know i can sell the connect2 on for good price, other than that there is nothing else to remove

I just have a fairly generic Android headunit, can't remember exactly what it is, but it will only be getting removed when i finally find a replacement car

If i got offered £2000 i'd be happy, but i just don't know where to pitch it when asked, i don't want to ask for too much and sound like a knobhead, but equally don't want to shoot myself in the foot either, and there doens't seem to be any free car valuation websites anymore, Parkers used to be pretty good, but they don't recognise my reg plate, and putting in my car details manually they say £800-£5680 :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
go on webuyanycar and see what they offer, use that as a starting point
Don't forget the prices on AT are retail at a dealer unless you were only looking at private sales.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,448 Posts
I'm pretty sure Autocar has price listings in it, nip down to the supermarket and have a cheeky look.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,448 Posts
Got this from the Autotrader web site based on your reg and mileage.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
go on webuyanycar and see what they offer, use that as a starting point
Don't forget the prices on AT are retail at a dealer unless you were only looking at private sales.
Yes, i know the AT prices are retail, it just amazed me that my car is still (potentially) worth nearly what i paid for it 5 years on

I honestly expected to find most cars on AT around the £2000 - £3000 mark (not £3000 - £5500), and expect to be offered £1000-1500 trade in, but at the prices they are going for, i'm thinking i might get a bit more for it

My biggest issue with webuyanycar, is you then get added onto every mailing list and phone list going, and get hounded for months and months via email, text and cold calls, looks like i might have to bite the bullet though

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,448 Posts
Well that was using your reg and 65K on the Autotrader site......

Reactions: rpsmith79

·
Registered
167 Posts
I’d say 2.5-3k private. Should fetch the upper end due to the low miles. If it was a facelift, it would be worth a lot more. Stick it on autotrader, worst case; you’ll get well over 2k for it

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Arnold Clarke have just offerd me minus £250.......... yep, i have to pay them £250, according to this email (screen shot below)

They have offered me £250, and that includes the ADD £500 promotion, so their initial offer was minus £250 :LOL:

Don't think i'll be taking it there

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
let's hope they just missed a zero on the £250

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Auto Trader now also do an "Instant Offer" price. So long as you are completely honest about the condition of the car then you should get a realistic price. They also come to your house to do the follow up inspection so there is no need to take it anywhere. If you are considering We Buy Any Car this is worth a look too.

Reactions: rpsmith79

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Out of interest, where are you based?
Chesterfield, Derbyshire

With regards to the Arnold Clarke valuation, i have emailed them back asking if that was a joke valuation, and to see if they could try again........... lets see if they get back to me, lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts