2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if its normal but its really bugging me, when i fill up the range says 480miles or something around there but im getting less than 300 per tank. im averging between 37 and 39 mpg so i cant see why im losing so many miles when im not much lower than the 42mpg it supposedly can get. does it really make that much difference or is there some other issue? (1.8l)

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
the estimated range adjust acording to your driving
so after fill up its estimating at a different rate maybe your a little heavy footed or driving more town or local stop start if you were more steady longer runs at steady speed you would maybe get closer to the estimate

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I'm not sure if its normal but its really bugging me, when i fill up the range says 480miles or something around there but im getting less than 300 per tank. im averging between 37 and 39 mpg so i cant see why im losing so many miles when im not much lower than the 42mpg it supposedly can get. does it really make that much difference or is there some other issue? (1.8l)
DOnr forget that mileage is in cruising conditions and also until the tank is absolutely empty.

I regularly achieve the quoted figures if I'm cruising down the motorway in 6th at 56mph. Ive got 420 miles before i had two gallons left in the tank that made the light come on. In town and starting the car up from cold sees this figure plummet as the car runs very rich when it started up to get up to temperature as well as stop start driving using a lot of fuel due to constant acceleration .

·
Off-Road Nut!!!
303 Posts
On board readouts in most cars are a bit optimistic. :wink3:
Driving style makes the most difference as pointed out by others.
Pushing on I get low 30's Cruising on long journeys can just get 50mpg
if very careful. Looking at my trip meter I have averaged 39mpg over
the last few months. I can live with that. :smile3:

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
mine is diesel but ive had over 500 miles on a tank many times
comes in nice and handy when going places like the isle of man fill up before you get on the ferry can run round all week without the risk of paying for the inflated fuel on the island

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
it is possible if you only do short runs and the car is parked up for long periods
this is the thing i dont understand about stop/start the most unefficiant part of a engine is the start up period

·
Registered
148 Posts
When did you last check your tyre pressures? Also newer tyres with more tread have higher rolling resistance than old tyres with less tread.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
You sure there isn't an fn2 engine in there? :smile3:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts