2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I've got 07 Civic 5-doors EX and everything worked just fine..until yesterday evening it stopped playing music from CD. Thought first perhaps a CD problem, but after I had tried all CD-s (both Audio and MP3) available in my car, i was forced to admit - it's gone.

I managed, however, to play one CD afterwards, but only for about 7 minutes, which made me think perhaps it has something to do with heat. But today morning, when everything should have most certainly cooled off, but still no good.

Can anyone suggest anything? could lens-cleaning CD help? or pressurised air(used to dedust computers)?

In addition I should add, that it kinda like starts reading, but then shows message CD DISC and that's it.

·
OOOOSH
800 Posts
Mine started playing up,occasionally at first, then permanantly. It sounded like the laser couldnt focus, as I could hear it mechanically moving for about 20 seconds, and would state `disc error`. I also tried all format types with the same result.
I took it to the dealer, who ran some diagnostics, to which they told me "your right, It doesn`t work". Fortunately, it was under warranty and they replaced it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, mate!

I'm afraid by now the warranty is over and they won't replace it....I did'l enjoy burning these CD-s anyway...but now I can't listen any of my music:mad: which makes me wonder..

I've been thinking about new Alpine or Pioneer head unit with the console, but I have natsav, which means the upper monitor would be blind then plus I wouldn't see my climate settings since these none of these replacement consoles for 2DIN radios seem to be compatible with Civics with satnav..:(

Can anyone suggest any solutions?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Been very busy with work meanwhile, but emailed to Honda dealer and asked if they knew anything about this problem. They told me, that Honda radio does not accept these lens cleaning CD-s (a bit strange?) and they could not do anything about it, since they don't repair stuff - they can only take the radio out and give it to me to take to radio repair shop.

Since my radio will be taken off, i thought to find out some ways adding USB cable. Honda dealers asked approx. 700 euros for the adapter and USB cables. I'm not fancy to pay that much just for an adapter and a bunch of cables.

I've heard there are these shops that sell OEM parts, but with friendlier prices. Anybody know anything or have any suggestions?

·
OOOOSH
800 Posts
Why not replace it with an aftermarket double din, most of which include the ability to play files from iPod/USB/SD etc. I just replaced factory head unit with a Pioneer AVIC-F930BT and the improvement is amazing (and it didn't cost much more than those cables you mentioned).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd love the idea! And I've been browsing by the manuals and DIY-s for that...but these are all for non-SatNav models...I unfortunately have a SatNav model..

Replacing the panel and HU means my big screen (the one that SatNav models have) will be blank..that's not so bad, because maybe there is a possibility to connect it with the new HU.

The main problem is that my smaller screen doesn't show AC/ventilation status. It only shows if Auto climate is activated or not and temperatures. No info about fan speed, AC status and where it blows the air)

Anyone bypassed that problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
evening,

you need to locate a radio remanufacture who can sort the old unit for you, in the UK there is a very good company called ATP in Staffordshire and they have contracts for some major car manufacturers.

the cost normally ok its the parts that are the pain but if you can get the unit our of the car they can normally sort it.

we got our hinda jazz radio done, could fix the cd played by they hooked up a ipod connection. maybe easy for a good DIY'er to hook up?!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess what happened. went to remove driver door panel and discovered my car's battery ran flat (radio played and everything, but the engine wouldn't start), so i cancelled removing door panel and went shopping for a new battery.

As i had replaced the battery, my radio started playing CD-s again!!!. I can not explain that, perhaps it just needed a total "restart". Perhaps removing battery connections for a couple of minutes might help the others having the same problem?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had the same problem and it seemed heat related at first (would play up with air con on warm or on some hot days), but then it got worse and struggled to play CDs at all. Inexplicably it just started working again when I tried yet another CD. I did look at the cost of replacing the Head Unit for a brand new one from Honda but you really don't want to know! Hopefully yours will stay ok too

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gosh I'm ever afraid to look at the prices of new Head Unit. They told me only USB cable and adapter would be 700 euros...really don't wanna know the cost of new HU.

but...mu HU played CD-s for about two days and now the problem is back...no one seems to be aware what might cause this. Does your radio still play CD-s after it started playing them again?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
My CD player started to play up on long trips (Disc Error) a few months ago but would be OK when I took it to the garage. Luckily I have the IOPlay system fitted, so I can stream music from my Blackberry.

The CD player finally failed on Thursday last week and I took it up to the dealer to show them the fault. The car is under a 12 Month Honda Happiness Warranty as I bought it in June and they said they would send the head unit away to get it unit fixed at Alpine or replaced. Could be 10 days.

I went to pick the car up and there is now a huge hole where the ICE unit used to be, wire looms exposed, and no centre air vents, no air con readout on the digital dash (though the air con appears to be working) but the IOPLay still works as it has a separate amp. Not impressed as I thought they would take the unit out of the back of the dash and leave the dash intact.

This was never explained to me and I said as much to the service manager :motz: I certainly didn't expect the car to be given back to me in that state. I've now got to run it like this for up to two weeks - hmmm. He said he'd try to get the unit back to me as soon as possible. Fingers crossed because the dash looks really bad.

Suppose it will be OK if it ends up getting the problem solved but I'm not very happy with Grantham Honda over this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sad to hear that. You're lucky You've got a warranty :) Wish I had one too.

It's quite unbelievable that they did that to your car. Estonian Honda dealer said that they would only take out the head unit and give it to me so I could take it to repair shop etc. Do you, macsport, have car with or without SatNav? If with satnav, does the main screen show anything at all?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Sad to hear that. You're lucky You've got a warranty :) Wish I had one too.

It's quite unbelievable that they did that to your car. Estonian Honda dealer said that they would only take out the head unit and give it to me so I could take it to repair shop etc. Do you, macsport, have car with or without SatNav? If with satnav, does the main screen show anything at all?
No, I don't have Sat Nav on my car.

I'm glad I had the warranty but I still don't see why I've been left with a big hole in the dash of my car for up to <QUOTE> '10 days'. The car is a Honda approved used car and it was bought with a Honda warranty. They should've ordered a replacement part first and then fitted it once they had received it, not remove the existing unit first.

Pictures of the current state of the dash in my car -

Attachments

·
OOOOSH
800 Posts
Honda wanted approx 7 -10 days to refurb my stereo, but the dealer I bought the car from took a stereo out from one of their existing cars, and fitted that into mine (and presumably re-fitted my refurbed stereo into their car upon its return from Honda).
I couldn`t have asked for more from them.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Honda wanted approx 7 -10 days to refurb my stereo, but the dealer I bought the car from took a stereo out from one of their existing cars, and fitted that into mine (and presumably re-fitted my refurbed stereo into their car upon its return from Honda).
That's good service. I would've been happy with that.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I've just had Grantham Honda on the phone saying it will be longer than two weeks now as the head unit has been sent somewhere else. However on Friday when I rang them for an update I had mentioned that other dealers are taking head units from existing cars and they are now trying to find a suitable car within the Vertu Group to swap with. So thanks for the info SMIG.

I just hope they find something soon because I'm fed up with having a big hole in the dash.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Well I've heard back from Grantham Honda and it's a good news, bad news story. The unit is broken and can't be repaired so Honda are replacing with a brand new unit - that's the good news. The bad news is it has to come from Germany and the earliest date is 19th December - another 10 days. :facepalm:

Just as long it fixes the problem and I get it before Christmas. Heading to Scotland for New Year on Boxing Day and don't fancy that journey with hole in dash or no CD player.

Reactions: Subie
1 - 20 of 24 Posts