2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will soon be six months since my Civic and I first met and for all but the first few weeks of ownership I've endured an irritating rumbling/rattling noise coming from the rear of the car. Initially the signs were good: when the car was returned to base the dealer said a rear suspension spring was upside down and righting it would resolve the issue. It did in part: the rumbling subsequently only happened when the car went over an uneven surface. The car was returned again and this time the rear shock absorbers were adjusted, this had no effect. At this juncture I hit something of a brick wall as the dealer simply told me they couldn't find a rattle. Anyway, having some spare time this week I opted to do some testing. I checked the tyre pressures, searched the car for anything loose, then tried driving it with parcel shelf removed, spare wheel lid taped down, then with the rear seats in the raised position. On the final run I made progress: with the rear seats up the rumbling seemed greatly reduced; there was still the odd knock but this action definitely seemed to have a positive effect. It would appear that the "rumbling" from behind me is the rear seats juddering about when the car moves over a rough surface or meets a pothole.

Obviously I'd rather have the rear seats down, so does anyone reckon the dealer will entertain this as a fault, or whether I'd be better lubricating the clips on the floor into which they connect when in the "down" position? Being someone who prefers the stereo off unless driving on the motorway, unwelcome noises inside the car can be most annoying.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Mmmm thats a toughie to be honest. I wouldn't drive around with ur seats up cause the car is supposed to have rear seats, just cause they lift doesn't mean you have to keep them like that all the time. It must be frustrating if you don't usually drive with the stereo on, thats always my remedy if there's a squeek or rattle in a car.

If your dealer thinks you're at it then you may need to prove you think its the seats and get a 2nd opinion. Pity you've had to do the fault finding in the end. Good Luck

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
You need to take the foreman out for a run with the seats up to prove
your point - don't do yourself - what the dealer should do for free

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I have a number of intermittant rattles:
Front of the dashboard (can be quiet load when it happens, possibly the windscreen spacers problem?),
Door pillar (where the seatbelt adjuster is sited),
Centre of the glass roof where the blinds go (does it with blinds open and closed).
Glovebox (sounds like something loose in there, so I emptied it and it still made the same noise, even when open),
Occasional clicking sound from the back when reversing (sounds like something being wound up, it then seems to unwind when going forward).
Of course if I try to find any of them they go silent (Finger smudges on the instrument display show when I have tried pressing!).

So far I have 2 ways not to hear them:
1, Turn the music up.
2, Take our guinea pigs in their cage out for a ride. The rattling of their cage covers any other rattles!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had various rattles clonks and other sundry noises with my diesel EX. The rear springs have been relocated and the shocks replaced. The windscreen has been removed and refitted which has cured all but one of the clonks. Next week the car is to have its front strut mountings examined - a honda initiative as they beleive that a clonk which is generated by the front strut sound as if it is coming from thr back ( trick of acoustics ). Also if you lower the rear seats and put the belt in the clip on th wheel arch trim to keep it clear of the seat mechanism, the belt buckle will knock on the trim whichis very annoying but easily cured!

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll tell you what noise I've noticed so far.....I can hear the diesel sloshing around in the tank.
I thought I heard petrol moving around in mine but it turned out to be water collecting in the doors. It might be worth prodding the rubber plugs at the base and seeing if any water drains out. I think this is a known issue now, so I'll be surprised if newer cars are beset with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had various rattles clonks and other sundry noises with my diesel EX. The rear springs have been relocated and the shocks replaced. The windscreen has been removed and refitted which has cured all but one of the clonks. Next week the car is to have its front strut mountings examined - a honda initiative as they beleive that a clonk which is generated by the front strut sound as if it is coming from thr back ( trick of acoustics ). Also if you lower the rear seats and put the belt in the clip on th wheel arch trim to keep it clear of the seat mechanism, the belt buckle will knock on the trim whichis very annoying but easily cured!

How did you convince them to remove the screen, i would love them to do that on mine to see if it will cure some of my clonks and rattles, i swear to god its the screen thats the problem, but proving it is nigh on impossible.
Adrian

·
Registered
11 Posts
jb75.We have the same prob as you,the single rear seat upright is nice and tight but the double upright rattles like mad on our country lanes(does not do it when children are in the back). The dealer said it could be adjusted and was tight when i picked it up - but now it is rattling like a goodun. So it will be back to the dealer again!!I have taken the catch off the seat to see if it can be adjusted myself but cant find any way to do this. Has anyone else had this problem sorted :?:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Process of elimination. Dealer kept removing the trim airbag etc from the 'A' post (area where rattle was coming from) until there was nothing leftto rattle. But the rattle persisted. Honda told them to remove the screen, check the locating spacers and refit. Hey presto - problem solved. No rattles. Great.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Had also a rattle from the big rear seat.
Just a small piece of tape round the locking part on chassis solved the problem.
This prvents that matal part of upper seat lock has contact with metal part of chassis.
Also mind that the seatbelts are not ratling against the plastic next to the seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts