2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been commuting in the 9G Civic the last 3 days and i am pretty underwhelmed with the so called "Premium Audio system". If i didn't see the 8" subwoofer in the boot i wouldn't know there was one tbh. Even with it set to max you can hardly notice it.

I am not wanting earth shattering bass but would have liked a nice wee thump from the boot.

I am wondering if an underseat sub with a high pass filter can be hooked up to the system to add some much needed bass in the cabin. Will this premium audio system cause any issues adding a small sub to it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi buddy,

Im hovering on ripping the 9g and its speakers out i had just have the satnav 4 speaker with tweeters in front doors and tbh while decent, its just no match for an aftermarket unit in sound quality or the units SNR may as well be a matsui or goodmans badge on it cheap tat.
Being an electronic musician/sound engineer perhaps im hoping too much on a flagship car.....am I?

If i just lost trip computer on main unit display and its satnav......woo worth ripping out if that is the case.

Sure ill lose the satnav but tbh idprefer screen mirror or full android auto support (that actually works) than the slow wobbly garmin app

Im missing my pioneer double din dab/satnav n jbl speakers n sub in the rocco tbh.
Compared to it the typer unit is gash, slow, honda connect is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike and given up trying screen mirroring, shame on you honda, they dont even have the decency to release the source code to allow others close seccurity flaws and its 1940s build of android supplied. Tossers.

4yr old car and its stuck on droid 4.04. I have old mobiles in a drawer on newer builds.

Anyone know if imid still functions if we pull the oem and if the reversing camera can be converted to work with big brand units? (toying alpine or kenwood tbh) with 2 way jbls in doors n replace door tweeters is the plan.

Have a spare 4ch JBL amp that will be wired into false boot.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you search on here you will find that this question comes up again and again

Short answer is that you can replace it, i-mid will still work, reversing camera can work (with right cables) but car clock cannot be set.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I want is a tad more thump of bass in the cabin.

I don't want to be faffing about with harnesses for this and that too keep imid and steering controls so I will stick with the OEM headunit.

I think I will just take a punt on an underseat subwoofer and try to connect it to the rear speakers via high input.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,806 Posts
For me my 2013 premium audio is just fine. I never go above 14 on the volume level and I've never heard the boot woofer either.

Unlike one of my neighbours who you can hear from the next street, can't be good long term for their hearing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi there,

If you want more bass in the cabin without compromising the boot space you may consider the following sub:

URL: ESX - Signum SL300A Active Subwoofer System

I use it in mine 9G along with the stock headunit and its performance is quite good for my taste (increased bass, not for parking lot parties)

Cheers,
iLiAS

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi there,

If you want more bass in the cabin without compromising the boot space you may consider the following sub:

URL: ESX - Signum SL300A Active Subwoofer System

I use it in mine 9G along with the stock headunit and its performance is quite good for my taste (increased bass, not for parking lot parties)

Cheers,
iLiAS
hold on, does the stock sat nav/android head unit in the 9g have RCA out? or am i missing something :D im hoping you say yup! then my old JBL sub amp is getting dug out lol

@sasquartch thanks :) hmm the clock being out would annoy me half the year. so unit will be staying, if it has RCA thats plenty :) the sat nav is growing on me tbh. that and i like the integration and the flush fit, always find after markets nearly get there, but never quite the same.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Honda headunit has RCA out. You would need a high level input on your amp to splice into the cars rear speaker wires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No Honda headunit has RCA out. You would need a high level input on your amp to splice into the cars rear speaker wires.
hmmm <goes to check his jbl stuff next door> yus both the 4chan/sub compat amp and the sub specific amps works with high level input in bridged and single 2/4ohm sub configs.

that changes things a lot, thanks Stu :) technically chuck in an underseat sub with high level input or replace rears with decent full range and use the amp to power it. the rears just sound muddy currently and due to it splicing the rear the built in fader will still work :)

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
507 Posts
So i have been commuting in the 9G Civic the last 3 days and i am pretty underwhelmed with the so called "Premium Audio system". If i didn't see the 8" subwoofer in the boot i wouldn't know there was one tbh. Even with it set to max you can hardly notice it.

I am not wanting earth shattering bass but would have liked a nice wee thump from the boot.

I am wondering if an underseat sub with a high pass filter can be hooked up to the system to add some much needed bass in the cabin. Will this premium audio system cause any issues adding a small sub to it?
Even my FK8 with it's "premium 11 speaker sound system" is average at best and lacks bass and clarity.. premium my a$$ 😂

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
507 Posts
Hi buddy,

Im hovering on ripping the 9g and its speakers out i had just have the satnav 4 speaker with tweeters in front doors and tbh while decent, its just no match for an aftermarket unit in sound quality or the units SNR may as well be a matsui or goodmans badge on it cheap tat.
Being an electronic musician/sound engineer perhaps im hoping too much on a flagship car.....am I?

If i just lost trip computer on main unit display and its satnav......woo worth ripping out if that is the case.

Sure ill lose the satnav but tbh idprefer screen mirror or full android auto support (that actually works) than the slow wobbly garmin app

Im missing my pioneer double din dab/satnav n jbl speakers n sub in the rocco tbh.
Compared to it the typer unit is gash, slow, honda connect is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike and given up trying screen mirroring, shame on you honda, they dont even have the decency to release the source code to allow others close seccurity flaws and its 1940s build of android supplied. Tossers.

4yr old car and its stuck on droid 4.04. I have old mobiles in a drawer on newer builds.

Anyone know if imid still functions if we pull the oem and if the reversing camera can be converted to work with big brand units? (toying alpine or kenwood tbh) with 2 way jbls in doors n replace door tweeters is the plan.

Have a spare 4ch JBL amp that will be wired into false boot.
It would seem while Honda makes brilliant cars they haven't quite figured out the stereo system 😆 I was really excited to test out the "11 speaker premium sound system" in mine but it's mediocre at best. You'd think with 11 speakers it would be rather decent! I've always said Honda should work together with an actual reputable sound system company and incorporate that in their cars like German cars do

·
Registered
137 Posts
hmmm <goes to check his jbl stuff next door> yus both the 4chan/sub compat amp and the sub specific amps works with high level input in bridged and single 2/4ohm sub configs.
It would seem while Honda makes brilliant cars they haven't quite figured out the stereo system 😆 I was really excited to test out the "11 speaker premium sound system" in mine but it's mediocre at best. You'd think with 11 speakers it would be rather decent! I've always said Honda should work together with an actual reputable sound system company and incorporate that in their cars like German cars do
yep even the 2009 roccoos default audio was better soundwise, but didnt have dab so went pioneer aftermarket it sounded superb with jbl 2ways front rear, spliced existing front and rear vw tweeters in and plumped a jbl sub in boot.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
507 Posts

yep even the 2009 roccoos default audio was better soundwise, but didnt have dab so went pioneer aftermarket it sounded superb with jbl 2ways front rear, spliced existing front and rear vw tweeters in and plumped a jbl sub in boot.
Looks like I might also be looking to perhaps swap them out with something a bit better too. It's not awful but especially on longer motorway commutes it would be nice to have something a tad bit better. Have you done anything to your fk2, speaker wise?

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,806 Posts
What annoys me during this hot weather is to have house windows open and the car disco mob driving past with the 'boom boom boom'. Very selfish.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What annoys me during this hot weather is to have house windows open and the car disco mob driving past with the 'boom boom boom'. Very selfish.
Thats down to poor placement and overpowered sub cabs for the design of bootspace (air displacement is a big factor in sub speakers ideally with porting and horn in the cabinet and also why underseat subs never rattle the fillings due to lack of both),a sub setup should level out the low frequencies up to 80hz and subliminal bass to produce a fuller balanced sound,
those divs crank up the gain (more gain does not equal more volume) on the amplifier to unnatural levels cos they think its cool when they just sound like doof doof doofuses :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks like I might also be looking to perhaps swap them out with something a bit better too. It's not awful but especially on longer motorway commutes it would be nice to have something a tad bit better. Have you done anything to your fk2, speaker wise?
Not yet no bud.

Thinking maybe an amp to power replacement rears as ive i set fader torear the rears sound like they are wrapped on cotton wool.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ok so heres a quick check on the ol ebay.

so wire up a GX-A604 JBL amp i have atm, using its high gain input spliced into the rear oem cabling
JBL GX-A604 AMPLIFIER 4 CHANNEL 435W MAX POWER HIGH BASS EQ CROSSOVERS SUBWOOFER | eBay

run it 2 channel and possibly a passive sub and replace rears with on low loss cu pro speaker cabling (i have loads of it)
Honda CIVIC 2011-16 Gen9 ALPINE 6.5 440 Watts Rear Door Car Speaker Upgrade Kit | eBay

I have a spare pro wiring loom, boom, no rcas needed or remote the amp uses signal pulse from high gain to flip on the amp.

ill keep the oem fronts with tweeters, head unit and hold fire on the sub bridge for now, but my JBL givers me that option if its passive. :)

to me cost £44 :D
the amps still boxed from when i did my scirocco, ended up just deploying JBL speakers, retaining vw tweeters front and rear and replaced all 4 doors with the calculated sub and sub amp for the tiny boot.

tbh the amps only required to bypass any wierd ohm resistance on the head units existing speakers, i can boost and adjust via the amp to whatever door cones i put in rear. if i can confirm those rings i can fit my existing 16.5cm Jbl stages i think, i try to keep speaker brand and amp the same brand and frequency response ranges.

·
Registered
137 Posts
@Rover3
Think ive sussed sound levels :)

While stationary set your fader bass n treble.
I go 1 to rear and bass +1 and +2 or 3 treble.

Then go to SVC and set as high.

If you do alot of 70mph A n motorway miles use high.
If your more stop starting use medium.

Why?
Ok so the way android and the head unit operates svc med or high takes cabin noise and engine noise into account and applies normalisation to the output (it adjusts output gain basically) it also monitors it as you drive. Even opening a window is countered.
This also seems to drive the rear speakers more also improving the overall sound.

A simple DSP type effect that should find you never having to push past 15 in volume but still get a good full bodied sound.

A other worthy task is to take your media and run each album through something like monkey audio and apply sound normalisation to -6.5dB to all. This is especially advisable if the mp3s are self ripped.
This will ensure that if gain is increased by the head unit it wont sound too boomy or crashy at loud volume.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts