2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Some of you may know that I have the Mugen Assist meters fitted in my car. They are great except for the fact that the control box keeps falling off! I have tried many adhesive pads but all have failed, usually due to the heat in the cabin, but also in colder weather!

Tried and failed:
- "Velcro" extra strong pads
- "no more nails" outdoor adhesive pads (claims to work from -20C to +50C)
- B&Q adhesive foam strips
- double-sided tape with foam strips.

Something with a foam back is required as the surface if not perfectly flat and so needs padding out.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I want something that will not leave any trace or damage in case I sell the car and sell the meters seperately.

Please see photos below for the box location.

Cheers

Ant

·
Registered
162 Posts
worktop contact adhesive ;)

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, Will that be easily removed if I uninstall the device?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I cant see how you can get something thats strong enough to hold it there so it NEVER falls off but you can just pull it off easily when you want it to come off! And with out it leaving a trace?
Has it got be placed there? cant you put it underneath so yo can use something stronger then it doesn't matter it it leaves a mark.

But if it must be there you can always try siliconing it on, that will dry over night if you tape it up there, cos you can get lots of "silicon eaters" thats remove the silicone residue.
But i have no idea what these would do to your dash?

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant see how you can get something thats strong enough to hold it there so it NEVER falls off but you can just pull it off easily when you want it to come off! And with out it leaving a trace?
Has it got be placed there? cant you put it underneath so yo can use something stronger then it doesn't matter it it leaves a mark.

But if it must be there you can always try siliconing it on, that will dry over night if you tape it up there, cos you can get lots of "silicon eaters" thats remove the silicone residue.
But i have no idea what these would do to your dash?
The Red Mugen prototype car has its box held on with white adhesive strips and it's never fallen off - I found this out at Goodwood, so it is possible. I know a good adhesive pad will leave a mark but it can be cleaned off, If I were to use a superglue/epoxy resin type thing then it would do permanent damage to the box and car. Also the box is a control unit so needs to be in a location that is easily accessible when driving... especially when I'm recording the data on track

cheers

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3m double sided tape. Ganteed to hold it.
Just got some... cheers for that, I think you're right it's sticking like flies to S***

·
Premium Member
153 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Mate use reg plate sticky pads the 6mm or 3mm ones you get them in halfords for under a fiver and they are really sticky, they hold my DTUK chip onto the car wing and its never fallen off. Worth a shot and they are a nice spongey foam as you require.

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Can I suggest something to mount it onto first?
As we all know how irritating the sticky stuff is to get rid off when removing anything

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can I suggest something to mount it onto first?
As we all know how irritating the sticky stuff is to get rid off when removing anything
Neo... such as? surely whatever I mount it to will need attaching to the plastic of the car?

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Inivisible plastic...I'll get my coat :(

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I've used some of these for my carkit and phone holder. They're good and come off with a bit of picking. Other than that I can recommend 3M adhesive foam tape.

As always clean the area thoroughly with alcohol prior to sticking it really does make a big difference.

:dito:

This make all the difference between sticking and not !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts