2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rang my insurance company to get a quote for changing my alloys. All I told them was that they would be the same size just made by a different company and a different colour........they then said to me no charge and I didn't need to tell them at all but they will pop it on my policy anyway for good measure :confused:

Why would I not need to tell them? I've made a modification, surely they would want to know? Unless they only go on size of wheel? :popcorn2:

As I said, I'm not complaining. More money in my wallet :D

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Just rang my insurance company to get a quote for changing my alloys. All I told them was that they would be the same size just made by a different company and a different colour........they then said to me no charge and I didn't need to tell them at all but they will pop it on my policy anyway for good measure :confused:

Why would I not need to tell them? I've made a modification, surely they would want to know? Unless they only go on size of wheel? :popcorn2:

Because its not a power increase. ;-)

Apparently adding aeroquip hoses in the engine bay adds horsepower....... news to me lol!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
True, but they charged me small amounts (mainly admin fees) for all my other mods including:

- Coilovers
- Mugen parts
- Brakes
- Tinted windows

etc...
Mugen parts is changing aerodynamics so they might charge for that.

Maybe its because the car came with alloys standard and you just changed make.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Strange, I would have thought it would increase the value or "stealability" of the vehicle so they'd want to know?

I think there was a thread a couple of days ago where someone rang the insurance and they said something similar, but then called back to check and there was nothing noted on the policy and they wanted an additional £30...

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Insurance is nuts but I always get confirmation from them in writing just incase they go back on what they say. For instance I had a head unit and subs in a car worth around £1500. Told them they said as its under £2000 it won't make a difference to your policy. Car was parked up one night in car park more or less the lot got nicked ( caught on CCTV) police got them. Told insurance company they didn't Want to now it wasn't on my policy. Ha ha I had confirmation so pay me Ops sorry sir. Payed in full plus a small don't say anything pay out.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
just depends on the company same thing happened me( first car had a bodykit :facepalm: and alloys were no charge but body kit was..just aswell i told them it ended in a claim

·
Honda nut
2,793 Posts

I declaired my black wheels thinking they would charge me and they didn't ,I also declaired my mugen parts and got no charge and that was with direct line .

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strange, I would have thought it would increase the value or "stealability" of the vehicle so they'd want to know?

I think there was a thread a couple of days ago where someone rang the insurance and they said something similar, but then called back to check and there was nothing noted on the policy and they wanted an additional £30...
Insurance is nuts but I always get confirmation from them in writing just incase they go back on what they say. For instance I had a head unit and subs in a car worth around £1500. Told them they said as its under £2000 it won't make a difference to your policy. Car was parked up one night in car park more or less the lot got nicked ( caught on CCTV) police got them. Told insurance company they didn't Want to now it wasn't on my policy. Ha ha I had confirmation so pay me Ops sorry sir. Payed in full plus a small don't say anything pay out.

Not too fussed about getting it in writing as all the conversations are recorded so when I make a mod I note down the time and date I rang them along with what mod I was phoning up about.

Everything I've told them appears on my insurance certificate that I can view online :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts