2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Notchy 3rd gear question

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Jord_m 
#1 ·
i know this is a common problem, im looking at a car on sat which has a slight notch in 3rd but nothing to bad by the sounds of it, but my question is will it get worse, or do they just stay at they are?

Thanks

#2 ·
It can only get worse

#5 ·
when I first bought 'the pig' It suffered from slightly notchy gear changes at high rpm. Changed the clutch, adjusted the pedal travel, changed gear oil out with MTF3 and put the heavyweight skunk gear knob on.. silky smooth ever since.

#6 ·
yeah well i asked him if it had any problems with 3rd gear, he didnt realise it was a common problem and said it feels different to the other gears but doesnt slip out or anything or crunch, he just has to make sure its in properly which doesnt sound to bad

#7 ·
When i was buing mine i was aware of problem, was looking for it and didn't noticed anything wrong, but... when i was checking the car engine was warm like it has been used earlier. Next day on cold start gearbox was very bitchy - 3rd did "jump out" on couple of ocassions (especially during change in left cornering - strange) so i change oil to Red Line MTL and it did improve situation slightly but on cold start it is still bad. On warm up gearbox it's good.

...if i was you i would search for the car with job done on recall in the past. I know i would have to do it at some point and it's not a nice thing to have on the back of your head.

#11 ·
Get a gearbox oil change straight away I would.

Maybe a silly question but do all gear changes feel differently?

3rd gear is actually my smoothest gear, goes in lovely. 4th, 5th and 6th go in ok but you feel it like catching something if you know what I mean, doesn't make any noise and doesn't pop out, just no where near as smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.