2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CTR had a very notchy gearbox, you had to ram it in 3rd gear especially, only had it a few months, so checked cars service history, rung up all dealers who did past services, it turns out its NEVER had a Gearbox oil change and NEVER had Valve Clearances done! The previous owners have only ever had basic services like what you get a F1 Autocentre!

£112 later after changing gearbox oil and having valve clearances done, it runs sweet as a nut now :D no more notchy gear changes and NO problem getting into 3rd gear anymore, gearbox is slick and smooth.

I was worried that it might be 3rd gear synchro at fault, turns out the oil was degraded and needs changing ever 27K, well worth having done, add it to your next service, I think alot of garages overlook this.

As for Valve clearances, not noticed any MPG effects, sounds less tampetty, thats abit it

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I was worried that it might be 3rd gear synchro at fault, turns out the oil was degraded and needs changing ever 27K, well worth having done, add it to your next service, I think alot of garages overlook this.
The gearbox oil schedule is at 60,000 miles or 6 yrs. I had mine done at the dealers at 42k. Why would you trust F1 to service a Type R, I have full Honda history from new?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I have mine done every other service (sometimes every service) because I know Type R gearboxes are like chocolate.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine is a 2012 Mk IX, 2.2 diesel with 35K, still under manufactures warranty. A cracking car except for the gearbox The gearbox is notchy and the change cannot be rushed to say the least. Is this typical of these vehicles. I envisaged a silky smooth gearbox on a Honda. I read that some users have improved it with a change of transmission oil. What is the consensus please.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
No issues with the gear change here, mine's covered a few more miles too.

Gear oil was renewed shortly after purchase and it did help (a bit).

Have you checked the gear oil level?

Its an easy job, so get it done.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks. I would be glad of any other observations too please, before I go and see what Honda say. Are Honda attentive or do they try and fob you off?.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
I've always found that stealers need to be watched very carefully, else they'll cut corners.
Not just Honda, they're all out to max their profits.

Go to a reputable indi, Grinspeed aren't far from you ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts