2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, just bought a 2007 Civic EX (2.2 cdti) that had a broken offside driveshaft, easy and cheap fix with a used part. Also had the usual 3 wires in the door harness broken preventing drivers speaker, passengers window and mirror from working again an easy fix with a soldering iron and heat shrink after popping the driver's door off. Had a chattering lower suspension ball joint that was really obvious on the track up to my cottage in the Scottish hills so again not too difficult to fit a pair of lower wishbones though it did have me sweating getting the front bolts in though flexing up the ARB to get better alignment made is easier. However, On the NS wishbone, there is a small link rod going to (I assume) a position sensor switch? the link rod which resembles a miniature ARB link was broken and for the life of me I can't identify that part to be able to source a new link. Anyone here knows what this is or it's part No?

It may or may not be related, but I've got the ABS /VSA lights came on (went off for a while, then back on), but I'm waiting on a new scanner to arrive so I can dentify that issue, none of my kit can do that just now "I'm normally a Vauxhall owner)

So I guess that's a bit of an introduction of myself, and as you can guess I'm not quick to shy away from a challenge, Now in my 60's I was born into motor engineering and clanking spanners from the age of 5, took over my fathers Suffolk garage business in the 70's, drove HGV Class 1 across the UK for a living through the late 80's - 90's, switched to computer programming and IT late 90's Moved from Suffolk to the Scottish Borders in 2016 and now running a welding /fabrication business in semi-retirement mode ..... though I seem to be far more busy than ever.

Well that's me.

Any help appreciated.

·
i-Vtec
3,071 Posts
Welcome to Civinfo.

the link rod which resembles a miniature ARB
Does you car have factory Xenon lighting? What your are describing sounds like the automatic headlight adjuster. There is one one the rear axle too. The rod breaks due to being plastic, Honda will know why they made it from plastic im sure....Your fabrication skills will be able to make it better than honda did from the factory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Civinfo.

Does you car have factory Xenon lighting? What your are describing sounds like the automatic headlight adjuster. There is one one the rear axle too. The rod breaks due to being plastic, Honda will know why they made it from plastic im sure....Your fabrication skills will be able to make it better than honda did from the factory.
Ah Das, that would make sense, and indeed I was contemplating fabricating a replacement but not being aware of its purpose I was reluctant to guess a length. Indeed I'll check if it functions as described. I've still got a lot to learn about the car as its far superior to anything I normally drive/own most of my bikes /cars / quads / tractors are rather dated and simple. this is like a space ship in comparison. I just changed the pollen filter as it was choked up and I hope the cause of the oilburner fumes when slowing at junctions. Though also having been mapped to 185bhp it's rarely stationary for long :)

Thanks again for the guidance (y)
Laurie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.. cracked manifold? that again would fit the symptoms, I bet it a pig to get at?
and requires a replacement rather than a repair?

L.

·
4,487 Posts
Hi buddy and welcome ti CivInfo.:love: I am lead to believe from several threads, that the exhaust manifold swap is a pig of a job, so good luck with that :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thak's for the welcome M8TYT, Yeah just read the replacement process thread and it's not nice, is it?
I was looking at the PDF process document pity there was not a parts "Number" list for gaskets and seals etc.

It's got to be done so I'll find a few free days (Ha!), hold my breath bite the built and sort it. I have a full workshop including hoist so if Honda can do it no reason why I can't. I might even find a few of those less used sware words I keep on the shelve to throw into the mix. :)

Side note: I bought the car for £400 with the broken shaft and so far put in another £110 with wishbones, plastic clips and cabin filter so still a little headroom for it to be a cheap run around :)

Laurie.

·
i-Vtec
3,071 Posts
If you look on Ebay there are many full kits available, manifold and Gaskets.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It may or may not be related, but I've got the ABS /VSA lights came on (went off for a while, then back on), but I'm waiting on a new scanner to arrive so I can dentify that issue, none of my kit can do that just now "I'm normally a Vauxhall owner)
Welcome to the forums. You'll need a more high tech (and pricey) gadget to read the ABS stored codes. Most likely a ABS wheel sensor. Easy to replace, often require drilling out the old one. Both front ones failed on my last diesel Civic within a year of each other. They're around £60-£80 if memory serves me correctly. There's four, one on each corner. You can find a mechanic that'll scan it and give you the ABS code for £25. Avoid Kwikfit etc they want £40 and to do a full scan which you do not require.

Also the exhaust manifold is actually a relatively easy job if you're a seasoned DIY'er. It's just time consuming and money draining. Some tight squeezes getting some of the bolts off around the turbo, but doable. Of course new threads will be needed on most bolts as they just snap clean off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the info Its great to have dropped onto a forum and got such a wealth of advice.

I'm not in any way afraid to tackle the manifold replacement its more that I like to be armed with all the info and parts to do the job in one go (I have too many unfinished projects due to interruptions over the years but I call those projects to finish when I retire HA!)

I'll get the parts ordered and just crack on, I have a choice of vehicles here to use so I don't have to rush the job but it will be nice to get it sorted and be able to drive the car without those fumes.

It's obvious why manufactures do it but wouldn't it make sense with the onboard computers and built-in satnav systems these days that they don't simply provide the option to interrogate fault codes direct from the vehicle's display without having to hook up to an external analyser? I like to have a code reader and while sometimes you have to question the outlay, if I was to add up the times my OP-COM has saved me £'s in fault finding on our Vauxhalls, it makes good sense.

I've had to get a dealer to scan a car once and had to laugh .... I bought a Daewoo Matiz for £200 to commute to the railway station and back daily and it had it's SRS light on because the previous owner had jump-started it (badly) and set the light on. None of my kits would scan it so I took it to the dealer that quoted me £25 to reset the light, I could then take it to my local garage for its MOT test, I drove the 15 miles handed over the car, sat in the posh waiting/showroom and was offered hot drinks and biscuits.

After about an hour I asked when the car would be ready? I mean all they were doing was clearing the code! The service manager said it will be ready in about 5 minutes it was just waiting to go into the wash bay ....?????? I was confused as I'd spent the previous day washing it (enough to be presentable).

Anyway, 10 minutes later it was ready and I was ready to settle the £25 bill. The manager said they had given it a "complimentary check over" and identified a few things that would be needed for the next MOT test and he rolled off this list of things like side repeaters faded, exhaust flange weeping and a pitted brake pipe. The estimated repair cost with parts was £570 + vat.

I said thank you very much but I tend to do my own repairs usually, and I settled the bill for £25.
Later that day I received an email with a video from the engineer with a head camera checking and describing all the points identified on my "complementary" check :)

That evening I welded up the weeping exhaust flange, made up and fitted a brake pipe and added a splash of orange paint to the inside of the repeater lenses. I took it that week to the local garage and it sailed through its MOT test. Now that's what I call spending £25 with "the dealer " value for money :)

Laurie.

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
If the car could read it's own codes how would dealers make any money?
They've got a living to make :poop:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes indeed, it would be like taking your own fish & chips to a restaurant, ordering a soft drink, sitting down and eating your meal.

I probably should start a diary thread of some sort but meanwhile, an update: manifold kit ordered (@ £60) and also ordered a turbo fitting kit (@ £19.33) so I have all the gaskets needed to do the job :) I don't fancy the "drop subframe" method so probably be looking at following the process in the PDF (I'll assume its from the Honda service manual?) and I'll see how close that gets me to it :)

L.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Be wary of the cheap manifolds - a few people have had issues with cheap eBay exhausts not fitting correctly. Myself included except not on a Honda. It was a 4-2-1 decat manifold for a Puma 1.7 - which didn't fit correctly, even the stud holes were too small, and I had to modify the bottom connection to the cat back.

I'd order the banjo washers both sides for the turbo (4 washers x2 copper and x2 aluminium), the oil return feed to block gasket and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that Lukey96,
The manifold arrived today and the turbo fitting kit arrived Friday and has the gaskets you mention plus I have the copper & aluminium washers in bulk in my stock. Fingers crossed the manifold is a good fit.
I've got a couple of days free in my normal stove building fabrication schedule, so I have it on the hoist ready to make a start tomorrow morning.
Releasing fluid and triple-layered latex gloves to reduce the skinned knuckles (or at least to stem the blood flow) and if all goes to plan I'll report back ... if not I'll go look for something high to jump off :p

L.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You ain't kidding :)

Well, the good news is the manifold is OFF ... Its been a long day as I started at around 07:30 and apart from a short tea-break around 12:00 and a bit of lunch sometime around 15:00 the turbo was "squeezed" out around 17:30.

So Inside ready to start the job ...

Parts at the ready but a long way to go before there needed :)

BTW: I'd not recommend someone taking on this job without a comprehensive set of tools, thankfully I have one :)

Long before the turbo was off the black soot on everything was telling the story but once off there were clearly 2 fractures in the manifold ....

I took pictures at various stages but the Tinternet has been playing up today and I'm not sure what I found more frustrating, the stupid lack of space to get to many or should that be "any" nut and bolt if you could find them you would be very lucky to see them well enough to get a spanner on However, I think I was more frustrated with the Tinternet dropping Radio Caroline off the air (well in my workshop that would normally keep me sane on a busy day:) ).
So I offered up the new manifold just to rule out any problem with the part and it looks fine so I called it a day and will start the assembly first thing tomorrow.

Note: I had tried to do it without dropping the driveshaft but had to give in and popped it off which gave me room to squeeze the turbo assembly out with slightly a few more attachments than the document assumed. Also, I recommend removing the bonnet not that it helps that much with the tight gaps but it does get a little more light down the back.

To be continued ........

https://flic.kr/p/2jGT7vd
I trust you all like pictures on here (as we do on the Astra MK2 forum)?
Thanks for looking :)
Laurie.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
i like the fact you have your own lift

1 - 20 of 23 Posts