2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So here is my question for your knowledge filled brains.

Im also sorry for bringing this thread up again as I have seen this question bounce around a few times before.

As some of you know I have an FD2 so an imported car.
I got pulled over a few days ago saying that my number plate is too small.
I think he just wanted a reason to pull me over as he kept giving me dirty looks so at the next set of lights I pulled away in a positive manner but only to the speed limit (no wheelspin) etc I dont think he liked that so.... anyway back to the question.

I have a normal JDM size plate on the front and rear of the car (the square one) I heard read somewhere before that if the car is an import the letters/numbers size and space can be reduced.

Now I was saying this to him but it was falling on deaf ears I couldnt be bothered to ague and said I will change it when I can, he was happy with this. (He also argued with me that it was not a Civic... He is a 'HONDA FAN' and knows his cars hmmmm well that kind of says it all really.

Another rule to have the smaller plate on the car is if the car is designed to have the smaller plates. The front of the FD2 has a JDM plate size lump which the plate attached to so surely that proves that the front can be JDM size. The rear has no issues with the UK size plate but I just wanted to see if anyone else has got any official written rules which proves I can keep it on the car.

He didnt give me a producer, fine or anything like that. But his mate started to check my tyres which followed by me saying your wasting your time trying to catch me out with things like tyres.

Anyway any info you guys have will be great. I may just bite the bullet and put a normal UK size plate on the back if I have to but im keeping the JDM front.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Sounds like they were just two moody twits in my opinion.

I think the fact he sad he was a honda fan and that your car wasn't a civic says absolutely everything about your post.

(thought he was right when he was wrong)

·
Give it some beans!! :)
473 Posts
Hi mate, I ordered a new smaller number plate for rear just yesterday as I already have for the front but thought I had better see if it attracts any attention form the chaps in blue, although it is totally legal and within the gov regulations you never know, if you nip into Halfords they have a book with pics in to display all the types of number palte you can have surrounds, fonts etc, some are square for sure!

Would nip in and have a look just to see if yours matches any of those, sounds like you did get a bit of a wannabe Jeremy Clarkson copper tho! :rolleyes:

As for the written rule of it, they do have a lot of info on their computer systems as to what you can have legally with font sizes and letters so maybe if you went in as a potential customer you could find out for sure?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Have a look at the attachment to this post.

The law states that
13.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), a registration mark of a description specified in
column (1) of Table A must be laid out on the registration plate in conformity with one of the
diagrams specified in relation to that description in column (2) of Table A.
(2) A mark displayed on a motor cycle may not be laid out in conformity with diagram 1a,
2a, 3a, 4a, 5a, 6a, 7a, 8a or 9a.
(3) A mark may not be laid out in conformity with diagram 2c, 3c, 4b or 7b if it is
displayed on—
(a) a registration plate fixed to a vehicle first registered on or after 1st September 2001, or
(b) a new registration plate fixed to a vehicle on or after 1st September 2001 to replace a
plate previously fixed thereto (except where the vehicle was first registered before 1st
January 1973).
Table A describes the plates, and the following pages display them graphically.
This means that on a car registered after 01/09/2001, you can have any of the styles shown in pages 15-21 with the exclusion of 2c, 3c, 4b and 7b.
Unfortunately the JDM style plate isn't listed, meaning it's got to go.

Of course, this assumes it's an import vehicle that was registered in the UK; rather than being an import that has been registered abroad.

Attachments

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
The 2002 Amendment states that it applies according to the following

14A.—(1) This regulation applies in relation to any vehicle imported into the United Kingdom which—

(a)does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval; and
(b)is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.
Unfortunately that means the amendments allowing leniency for imported cars doesn't apply to the FD2 as there's adequate space available for a UK sized plate.

Attachments

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Murray I would print that piece of Legislation and keep it in your glovebox just in case :D

Dont go changing nothing! JDM status should be maintained

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did he tell you to change it? if not sod it :D

sent from my phone
He just said he will keep an eye out for me to see if I have changed it. But im in no rush to change it over.....

JDM status should be maintained
100% correct!! this is why im in no rush to change it over.

Unfortunately that means the amendments allowing leniency for imported cars doesn't apply to the FD2 as there's adequate space available for a UK sized plate.
The front only has a JDM size area to attach the plate to which means a good few inches of overhang which could damage the plate or the car. The rear..... well this can be changed. I will pay (just so I can have the upper hand) and have a recess made in the boot lid area. so then the plate can fit in the area and a uk plate will not. ;)

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
The front only has a JDM size area to attach the plate to which means a good few inches of overhang which could damage the plate or the car. The rear..... well this can be changed. I will pay (just so I can have the upper hand) and have a recess made in the boot lid area. so then the plate can fit in the area and a uk plate will not. ;)
I think you should invest in one of these :D

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
My personal opinion would be don't change it - just trying to give you the facts. After all, the plate size on my motorbike isn't exactly "to the letter of the law" either.

Without a picture of the front of your car I can't tell for sure, but just be aware if you can remove the JDM size plate and attach a UK plate without obstructing intakes etc. then you can be forced to change it and you'll probably get stopped again in the future. But who cares about that? :D

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Make sure it follows lettering and spacing guides and you can do what you want!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.