2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 6 day old motor both number plates have spiders web crazing around the 4 fixing screws extending for about 1/2 inch. Perhaps the torque setting on the "electric spanner" was a little out.
Have others got this problem?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Thats strange , my number plate is stuck on not screwed on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got that exact problem on my Civic. I keep meaning to get some new number plates but havn't got round to it yet

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Mine are screwed on and capped, but the plate is not damaged. All the screps are through the background, not the lettering on mine. Is it the plasic cover that is cracking, or the actual layer with the lettering underneath?

My rear plate looks a bit cheap, the letters aren't quite black, and have what look like folding marks on a couple of the letters.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
SUPERTEACH said:
On my 6 day old motor both number plates have spiders web crazing around the 4 fixing screws extending for about 1/2 inch. Perhaps the torque setting on the "electric spanner" was a little out.
Have others got this problem?[/quote

It must be all the high-altitude trips ---- causing fatigue !!! :wink:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
elfa7 said:
SUPERTEACH said:
Have others got this problem?[/quote

It must be all the high-altitude trips ---- causing fatigue !!! :wink:
Yes, very good. I like that.
Will have to give it more oxygen next time!.
Still annoying though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i have got some of this on mine but really dont see how it matters, mine is a private plate so im always looking at my reg (me bad i know lol) but its not an issue for me.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
SUPERTEACH,

I think you should ask the Dealer for a new plate. It's been overtightened.

My front plate is screwed and capped, but the rear is stuck on, which I think is a bit dodgy. Anyone could take it off, no problem.

·
Registered
421 Posts
elfa7 said:
SUPERTEACH,

My front plate is screwed and capped, but the rear is stuck on, which I think is a bit dodgy. Anyone could take it off, no problem.
tbh if they want it off they will get it off.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
elfa7 said:
SUPERTEACH,

I am waiting for the "How is your new car?" call and then will mention both plates are not well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Its not the overtightening of the screw in the plate.

The plates are laminated (obvious ), but must be drilled to put the screws in.

Drilling causes the crazy spider thing, and there isn't a lot that can be done about it.

Its perfectly legal, and will stay the same for years.

The guy with the stuck on plates should screw them on, stick ons fall off so easily, and can be nicked to clone the car. Had a few done recently, and its no end of hassle sorting it with the police

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
SUPERTEACH said:
I am waiting for the "How is your new car?" call.
Still awating mine, received the car on the 12th June :(

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Martin said:
Its not the overtightening of the screw in the plate.

The plates are laminated (obvious ), but must be drilled to put the screws in.

Drilling causes the crazy spider thing, and there isn't a lot that can be done about it.

Its perfectly legal, and will stay the same for years.

The guy with the stuck on plates should screw them on, stick ons fall off so easily, and can be nicked to clone the car. Had a few done recently, and its no end of hassle sorting it with the police
Spooken to Jepsons (plate manufacturers) in Sheffield and faulty drilling is the reason (they say)
Both mine have been replaced at the garage I bought the car from who said "you cannot have them stuck on as they fit on a plinth!
So how do those with stuck on plates manage it?
Both my new plates look 100% AT THE MOMENT......and both screwed on.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Thats a yes. I 'phoned them earlier regarding the plates. My front is screwed, my rear is adhesive. Strange description,

but there you go. He said they always screw the front because of the plinth. But they stick the rear, as they do with the

Accord.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
my rear is screwed :D

Sorry - had to post that up just to get it out of the way :wink:

I am of course, only referring to my rear number plate, and am not making any comments one way or the other about anyone's preferences :D

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
You couldn't resist that one Degs. :wink: I said to the dealer, 'what if someone takes the plate'. He said ' have you tried taking the plate off' . I said 'why would I want to take it off'.

And so it went on. So cut a long story short, next time I'm at the Dealer, I'll ask them to screw the plate on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Spooken to Jepsons (plate manufacturers) in Sheffield and faulty drilling is the reason (they say)
Both mine have been replaced at the garage I bought the car from who said "you cannot have them stuck on as they fit on a plinth!
So how do those with stuck on plates manage it?
Both my new plates look 100% AT THE MOMENT......and both screwed on.[/quote]

The plinth is screwed on, and then the plate stuck to it.

I knew that one!! :D

As far as faulty drilling goes, can't see it. unless you have to take twenty minutes over each hole.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts