2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dears,

I have read in the newspapers here in Belgium that OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme is a good OBDII-Key, though I am wondering if it is possible to read error codes from it because that is the main priority that i'd be buying it for? I'm struggling with a "Check Engine" error at times and I don't fancy going to the garage to pay a bazillion €.

Or if anybody else knows an adapter that works just fine with iPhone and can read error codes, that'd be awesome!

Thanks in advance,

KizZamP-

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Dears,

I have read in the newspapers here in Belgium that OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme is a good OBDII-Key, though I am wondering if it is possible to read error codes from it because that is the main priority that i'd be buying it for? I'm struggling with a "Check Engine" error at times and I don't fancy going to the garage to pay a bazillion €.

Or if anybody else knows an adapter that works just fine with iPhone and can read error codes, that'd be awesome!

Thanks in advance,

KizZamP-
No, It does not work... I had that same unit. The iPhone OBD2 apps dont support bluetooth. I think it's because Apple have not enabled the protocols in the API. The Iphone however does support WIFI connection...

I now have one of these: HOT SELLING OBD2 Wifi WLAN OBDII Wireless Diagnostic Scan Code Reader Universal | eBay

It works very well with Rev2 and Dashcommand, and you can read/clear the error codes too :)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see it's a bid-only item, plus it is located in Hong-Kong :/

Is there any actual modelname for it or other location somewhere near UK or Western Europe? I'm from Belgium

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
looks good im gng hk in may , mighjt pick one uip depending on price :p edit it does not come with the app ahem jail broken iphone coming

i do have my iphone currentlyt used as a gps speedometer and speed cam alerter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got that exact OBD II wireless device from DealExtreme and got it working with an Android Smartphone.
I've also got it working with an Android tablet too.

* The CD that came with it was cracked.

Car : Honda Civic EX 2007 ( UK Spec )
Phone : HTC Desire HD
App : Torque ( Free app ) I later paid for the full pro version.

There was a setting "Disable ELM327 auto timing adjustment" I had to set to get reliable communication.

Also note that the devices bluetooth pin is 1234, which isn't obvious.

I was able to scan codes and even saw a "low pressure sensor" warning about the air con, which needs re-gassing.

regards,
Owen

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Rev (full version) is the best app IMO for the iPhone users

Very responsive and all info shown is accurate :)

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
Anyone know of any OBD II apps that are compatible with Blackberry? Bluetooth too preferably.

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
No, It does not work... I had that same unit. The iPhone OBD2 apps dont support bluetooth. I think it's because Apple have not enabled the protocols in the API. The Iphone however does support WIFI connection...

I now have one of these: HOT SELLING OBD2 Wifi WLAN OBDII Wireless Diagnostic Scan Code Reader Universal | eBay

It works very well with Rev2 and Dashcommand, and you can read/clear the error codes too :)

You can get the Bluetooth OBD2 adapters to work on a jailbroken iPhone by using a cydia app called roqyBT4 which unlocks the Bluetooth protocols.

RoqyBT4 is about 5 euros.

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
Damn .... If only I'd have known that I would have kept my Bluetooth module and saved some pennies lol

Took me ages to find it to be fair!

I spent more time getting apps to recognize the thing than actually using it... Have you used yours much and have you setup custom dashboards? I fear i don't actually have a real use other than error checking.

I am fitting an k&n tomorrow so could monitor mpg I guess?

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
The wifi ones are slightly more responsive i believe :)
I've not used the bluetooth type, just going off reviews!

This is the way im using it on rev:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Took me ages to find it to be fair!

I spent more time getting apps to recognize the thing than actually using it... Have you used yours much and have you setup custom dashboards? I fear i don't actually have a real use other than error checking.

I am fitting an k&n tomorrow so could monitor mpg I guess?
Actually, I do use it quite a bit.... Just for interest though and a bit of logging. The WiFi bit was easy to set up, just a static IP.

Yesterday, Installed the WiFi module under the dash with obd plug close to the port, allowing for quick plugging in. Like all of these, the port is powered even with the ignition off, so I ALWAYS UN-PLUG WHEN NOT USING IT TO SAVE BATTERY DRAIN :)

I like DashCommand, but some of the skins can be a bit slow and you have to enter ALL of the cars parameters (curb weight, tire size etc) for all the gauges to work. Rev is quite good to, just a little basic.

The best this is that I have the iPhone on TV out and the gauges appear on my Sat Nav screen :) :) ..... I'll post pics later.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.