2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,119 Posts
You quoted me out of context there. Clearly and obviously I was suggesting a thread dedicated to HDS/HIM buyers NOT the relatively simple OBD2 readers mentioned in the title of this thread.

OBD2 is a standard relating only to 'powertrain' codes, other error codes (e.g. ABS/VSA and body codes) fall outside that standard and, as such, the title of this thread may not attract the owners of the more advanced code readers, such as the Foxwell types that can also read ABS/VSA codes. Discussing OBD2 readers has been done to death over the years and perhaps the current thread title isn't particularly attractive?

I wish the Foxwell readers were a LOT cheaper, and then I'd buy one.
i only paid £85 for my nt630 but it was on a 24 hour sale at the time
well worth it in my book
even the £150 mark is worth it if you have regular use for 1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone!

Long-time lurker, first time posting!

I was wondering about the difference in hardware quality, software reliability and range of features between the Foxwell readers (NT510 & NT630) and the Chinese clones of the HIM.

Foxwell appear to be a reputable company, so I gather that the units themselves are manafactured to a high standard. But what is their car-specific software like? I'm assuming that their 'Honda' software is created by Foxwell rather than Honda - does it work well? Also, does it provide all of the functionality that someone who wants to service their own car would require?

Finally, the quality of the Chinese HIM clones is probably not too good, but they do use the proprietary Honda HDS software, which is a real bonus. But does using one of these HIM clones pose any risks to the ECM?

Sorry for all of the questions in my first post, but I'd really like to find out as much info as possible before I decide which route to go down!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
So far as I can tell (having only seen two!) the HIM clones come with pirate copies of the original HDS DVDs.

Some people won't use cloned HIMs to write to the ECM (so updating new injector IQAs, for example). But some people are very cautious...

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Whoops pressed send there...

Conducted a full scan of the car and it told me that as expected one of my ABS sensors was open circuit (rear right) no having to google codes it tells you exactly what is wrong! Brilliant. As for quality it is very sturdy, comes in a solid plastic case too so it won’t get damaged easily in the garage! Overall well worth the £114 imo. Use it twice and that’s it paid for, local Honda garage charges £60. If you’re thinking about buying one, go for it! Its also cool just having a flick through all the software looking at the system of the car. Well worth it go buy one... or if you’re in Edinburgh you can come and use mine no probs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
the right rear seams to be a comon 1 on the civic
i paid £13 on ebay for mine
still going strong after 12 months

Nice price there. Certainly beats £120 for oem!! I paid £17 off eBay with 24 months warranty. Will be fitting it tomorrow along with discs all round, pads and new brake fluid. Got my order from coxmotorparts today which included brake fluid, coolant and a snazzy new funnel... the simple things eh lol. Busy day tomorrow but very excited to get Mr Honda all fresh

·
Super Moderator
2,119 Posts
the sensor will probably be stuck in
just remove the disc break the old sensor off and if your carefull you can drill through the hole on the hub with a 10 mm drill bit to clear the remains of the old sensor
but be care full to just drill the sensor as the pickup ring is just behind you dont want to damage that

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
the sensor will probably be stuck in
just remove the disc break the old sensor off and if your carefull you can drill through the hole on the hub with a 10 mm drill bit to clear the remains of the old sensor
but be care full to just drill the sensor as the pickup ring is just behind you dont want to damage that
Good advice!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whoops pressed send there...

Conducted a full scan of the car and it told me that as expected one of my ABS sensors was open circuit (rear right) no having to google codes it tells you exactly what is wrong! Brilliant. As for quality it is very sturdy, comes in a solid plastic case too so it won’t get damaged easily in the garage! Overall well worth the £114 imo. Use it twice and that’s it paid for, local Honda garage charges £60. If you’re thinking about buying one, go for it! Its also cool just having a flick through all the software looking at the system of the car. Well worth it go buy one... or if you’re in Edinburgh you can come and use mine no probs

I've been following this thread and coincidentally today my ABS started kicking in under very light braking, so definitely something going wrong there.

Did your code reader tell you that it was the rear right sensor specifically? Or simply that one sensor was faulty?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I've been following this thread and coincidentally today my ABS started kicking in under very light braking, so definitely something going wrong there.

Did your code reader tell you that it was the rear right sensor specifically? Or simply that one sensor was faulty?

Oh no you’re joking!! Has your ABS/VSA warning lights came on on the dash? It told me specifically that it was the right rear! Changed it today. 10mm bolt was rusty and rounded took me hours to get it out!! Changed the discs and pads as well. Will do the fronts next week I think

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh no you’re joking!! Has your ABS/VSA warning lights came on on the dash? It told me specifically that it was the right rear! Changed it today. 10mm bolt was rusty and rounded took me hours to get it out!! Changed the discs and pads as well. Will do the fronts next week I think

I know, weird coincidence.
No lights that I've noticed, don't know if that points to a diagnosis.
Nice, seems like the right kit then.
Hours... I'll make sure I've got a good bit of time set aside if they're a pain to do.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I know, weird coincidence.
No lights that I've noticed, don't know if that points to a diagnosis.
Nice, seems like the right kit then.
Hours... I'll make sure I've got a good bit of time set aside if they're a pain to do.
Thanks

Hmm... might be on its way out.. mine done that then intermittently and then solid. Only took hours because of that bolt being rounded, if it wasn’t then it would’ve been an hour job. Wheel off, Caliper, disc and then replace and put back together. Job done ?? hopefully yours doesn’t prove to be a pain in the neck if it happens!

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
new updates for honda and a lot of other makes 29 jan 2018 for the foxwell NT 630 pro if you havn't already updated

21 - 37 of 37 Posts