2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought -

Wasn't that noticable when I got the car, didn't really notice it before I picked it up either.....

Anyone out there got a champagne silver one?

Check your rear bumper. From about 3/4 rear angle...

Mine seems a lot darker than the rest of the car. Not too sure about the front one, it seems to blend in pretty well.

I thought it might be the angles that are there, some sort of trick of the light, but there definately IS a difference. I'm now wondering if my car has been in a smack or something.

Interestingly, the boot and rest of the car match up, I think that even the left hand side is pretty well matched. There doesn't seem to be any major difference between the left and right of the rear bumper AT THE BACK, its just that little bit on the corner up to the door, that doesn't match the door colours at all (and the doors match the rest of the car etc etc)

Anyone else have this - I guess colour isn't important.

And yes, I know that EXACT matches aren't always possible... I will try to post some pix if I can remember to do em!

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I have Champagne, there is very little difference at the moment.
My previous Civic (52 reg Aqua Green) was much worse, the bumpers were quite a different shade in any light.
In the past the cars were painted with all the body parts attached, so any variations between batches of paint would not show.
Nowadays I think the bumpers and other bits are painted separately, which is why the painting quality can vary as well as the colour.
It is also the reason why you can buy pre-painted body parts.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
My Galaxy Grey is a bit like it, I think all manufactures struggle with it when it comes to lighter colours. A dealer once told me it was to with painting black plastic - not sure if that is true :confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks people, will still post some pix just in case theres "something wrong" - and my dealer does like to point out that I'm paranoid as I've been back a few times with all sorts of "issues" :p

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Mine is a Blueish Silver and my rear bumper is darker than the rest of the car, spoke to my dealer and he said this is normal on plastic bumpers I pointed out that the front one was perfect, he went mmmmmm! look at that one over there, and surely enough that rear bumper was darker as well. Couldn't really argue.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
The Bumpers onMy cosmic Grey CR-V can look lighter than the rest of the
car!!!

Galaxy Grey seems to change shades dependant on the colour of the sky

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my NHB the front and rear bumpers are a greyer black and the rest is a bluer black in bright sunlight. I noticed the bumpers on other colours are greyer / darker in strong sunlight. Other manufacturers don't seem to have the same problem. My worry would be if you had to have an adjoining panel resprayed and ended up with three shades. I also wonder about Milano Red and whether the bumpers look very different at night when different shades of red tend to show up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Take a close look at the rearbumper between the rear wheelarch and the rearlamp, then you'll find the explanation or that's what I believe. The bumper is covered with a layer of plastic, some kind of protection i guess.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goddag Danishdude! (Or should that be Hej med hjer?!)

Are you hinting that the plastic protection as it were, should be removed, or is it just something that I have to live with?

The front bumper seems to match more or less perfectly, which to me would suggest that the car has had a minor bump somewhere and either had the rear one replaced or resprayed. I don't think the right hand side matches the rest of the car. The left side seems to be more or less ok.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My last car had a terrible mismatch between the front bumper and the wing. The dealer wouldn't do anything about it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I've had this problem to a greater or lesser extent with every car that I've had with plastic bumpers. I have been told that it is a sad fact of life that it happens.
My Civic is Champagne Silver and yes, there is a noticable difference, but most people don't notice until it's pointed out.
I even had a repair done to the nearside rear bumper and they matched the rest of the bumper perfectly so you can't see the join; so the difference between the bumper and the rear panel is just as it was before.
The question is: what is acceptable? And what is a bad mismatch?
I thought it would be a good idea for the manufacturer to explore these differences during vehicle development and use different paint mixes on metal and plastic parts. This would mean two paint codes for each car, but would solve the problem. Can't see it ever happening though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Goddag Danishdude! (Or should that be Hej med hjer?!)

Are you hinting that the plastic protection as it were, should be removed, or is it just something that I have to live with?

The front bumper seems to match more or less perfectly, which to me would suggest that the car has had a minor bump somewhere and either had the rear one replaced or resprayed. I don't think the right hand side matches the rest of the car. The left side seems to be more or less ok.
Yo Dr. Dark

Both will do :O)

No I don’t think that the plastic should be removed, but that it's some kind of protection against stone chips. I had a close look at the front bumper today, and it seems like it also has this plastic on. Try to look at your own car, I’m quite sure that you can se where the plastic “ends” at the edges of the bumpers.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
mines a MR and the tail gate looks lighter in the sunlight, but on a cloudy day its nearly the same as the bumper. front bumper wings and bonnet are spot on. i think is down to the primer, tail gate must be a different shade of primer, or they have saved afew quid and spray straight on to it???

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same here Vivid Blue and the back bumper appears slightly darker than the rest of the car but not enough to be bothered about to be honest.
Gray did you get yours from Marshall Honda Peterborough?

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
i sure did. what area of p'boro are u?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts