2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new Civic 1.8 ES about a fortnight ago. One thing I noticed was that when idling or just above idle, the engine sometimes makes a 'purring' / 'growling' noise - (sounds a bit like a toothed rubber belt running tight). If there is no noise, there is sometimes a bit of a 'click' and the noise starts, or vice versa. I've never had a i-VTEC engine before, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Should I take it back to the dealer to check out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm - good ideas. Not sure about the engine fan but I guess it could be the air con as this is driven off the engine and may change the load if thermostatically controlled. Never heard it from any of my other air con equipped cars though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
my current peugeot does that and its the aircon that does it, so could be the same on the civic - unfortunately as i dont get my 1.8 EX till may i cant test it out to prove it for you

if youve done this already ignore me - but maybe try switching the aircon off at that time and see if the noise stops?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Agreed, I think it is more likely the air con than the engine fan. I've never noticed it on my current Civic (07 diesel) but it was very noticeable at idle on the 2002 1.6 petrol Civic I used to have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to you both for your ideas. I'll try running without the air con to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi El tel - I am having the same issue on 07 S TYPE with 600 miles on the clock.

It comes from air con unit .... I am going to ask my dealer to check it out because personnally I think its to loud.

Again this is my 1st honda so can't compare to other models within the range. But my last car didn't make this much noise when running air con.

Rogie

·
Registered
676 Posts
My aircon is also bit loud so I can hear when it is working..

but because not I am the only whose air con works like that I don't think it is a fault and I don't worry anymore

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got so fed up with the growling clicking on every few seconds that I've taken to switching the aircon off - but then it gets a bit too stuffy. Forget the other alleged negative points for the Civ (I 've no problem with them), this is the most annoying thing for me. :mad:

I think it is a little too loud compared with other cars I've had with aircon, and not too many other people are complaining about their cars, so I will take it back to be checked. I'll probably get the usual dealer spiel - unless Honda dealers are in fact as good as they are reputed to be. :?:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts