2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have that mount to the honda oem gps (garmin) too :)

And you just gave me an idea... Maybe i can fit a phone holder to the ball joint lol

It seems to be a great option instead of buying a Brodip ProClip.

Enviado do meu Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now only need to find a phone holder in ebay that fits... And change the mini usb to micro usb :)

And also a micro sub with 90° angle :D

Enviado do meu 6055K através do Tapatalk

Reactions: Trev27

·
Registered
81 Posts
Phone Holder:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Car-Ai...hash=item3f5186989d:m:mhxf9apHLNjp0btdr1mufPQ

Micro Usb to Mini Usb 90º adaptor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-...hash=item44046df622:m:m7OTnCzd0AA9J0ty7GJiPTA
(with that i don't need to sloder anything and i just glue the thing to the holder to secure it and since it's an adapter i can turn it off when i want and still plug it to the phone)

Seems promising...

I just ask the seller for the inner measurements for the ball joint :D Let's cross fingers.
If fits i got a new phone holder with a charger point.

Personal note:
I just find out that i've a design flaw... my Alcatel Idol 4 has the micro usb on the bottom left... maybe the holder will cover the plug. Let's see :grin2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bah... the seller doesn't want to tell me the measurements of the outside joint. That's sucks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was looking for other models and i found this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362169864731?rmvSB=true

And the seller answered me and sent this pictures with measurements:

I think they can fit into the GPS mount... i'll order one just to see, in about one month we will have the results. :grin2:

Also this new mount solves my problem of having the usb covered up... this is fantastic.

·
4,562 Posts
Now only need to find a phone holder in ebay that fits... And change the mini usb to micro usb :)
And also a micro sub with 90° angle :D
Get a mini to micro with a right angle. You can get them as I have a couple. You need to decide whether you need a left or right adaptor to get the 'big bit' of the plugs in the right orientation. i.e. top or bottom with (say) an entry from the left.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get a mini to micro with a right angle. You can get them as I have a couple. You need to decide whether you need a left or right adaptor to get the 'big bit' of the plugs in the right orientation. i.e. top or bottom with (say) an entry from the left.

I know :)

But i prefer order the holder and then with it in my hands order the adapter, just to have really sure of what i really need.

PS: Order the holder today... let's see if it is a fit. :grin2: Next month we will have the answer. LOL

·
Registered
81 Posts
And today arrived the phone mount... And it fits!

I am impressed with the build quality of this phone holder due it's price. It doesn't feel cheap at all.

The only immediate problem that i see id that due to the curvature of the gps support the holder is slightly up. But i didn't had the time to test it properly, but tomorrow i can review this thing and take pictures with my phone mounted.

For now i am happy :)

With this purchase i also bought one obd2... Maybe i can get an nfc tag and everytime i stick the phone to the holder it just opens the toque app or the waze. Hehe :) let's see.

But for now let's start fase 2 of this project: mini usb to micro usb power adapter!

Reactions: [H]onda

·
4,562 Posts
I am beginning to wonder what on earth this thread has to do with its title of 'Garmin Navigation'? It seems more along the lines of 'Phone Mounts' to me. And I was led here under false pretences.>:)

·
4,562 Posts
I still fail to see what its got to do with Garmin though. What have I missed?:frown2:

·
Administrator
21,170 Posts
I'm confusing this with the one with the ball mount picture :oops:

Still mentions the Garmin ball mount though

·
Administrator
21,170 Posts
Hmmm

I can see those on the tablet but the PC didn't show them !!!

All's good then

·
Registered
81 Posts
I still fail to see what its got to do with Garmin though. What have I missed?:frown2:
The Civic has the option to have a Garmin GPS and has a triangular socket in the dash near the clock as you can see it here in the attached pictures.

The OP just asked if there was a special mount for that socket to use with a mobile phone, and it came to my mind to do a modification in order to fit a phone using the existing Garmin gps mount.

Ps: the gps uses an arrow, but i change it with a white civic picture

·
Registered
81 Posts
Continuing with the review...

This mount seems to be better than i expected!
Here is a small video docking a testing phone:

And here is some pictures of the testing phone mounted and positions that i can get:

1) Facing the driver

2) Horizontal Mode

3) Facing passenger side

4) Up (maybe is useful to someone)

5) Just the holder

And and i can start step 2:

Converting the mini usb power plug adapter to micro usb, so i can charge the phone on the go.

:grin2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts