2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Civvies,

I was demonstrating my gorgeous new Civic to my best mate yesterday and while showing him the sat nav I mentioned that you can tell it to find the nearest point of interest by voice control. "Watch this" says I, "Find nearest Pub" says I, "Cool" says mate....."Oh", says I. Now bearing in mind that I live near Canterbury, which is reputed to have more pubs in it's vicinity than any other city in England, according to the Civic, the nearest pub is in.....wait for it...... France!!!!
Can somebody else try this please? Doesn't this car know of any good pubs in the UK? Perhaps there aren't any? Maybe it doesn't want me to drive it to a pub... who knows?
I guess it's a good job I don't drink then...

cheers
Roger

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Top gear once had a similar segment in their news about some map service on the internet.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
"Find the nearest fast food" doesn't find my Macdonalds round the corner it finds me all the ones in France :oops:

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Even the sat nav knows that French food is way better than British! :p

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Seriously though - how can they justify the cost of the satnav (as an extra, and as a value-add for the EX) when even basic functionality like this just doesn't work? Even a cheapo £80 woolworths sat nav can do this kind of simple "find nearest.." functionality.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Do satnavs get updates? I know the maps get updated, but can they patch the software itself?

Edit:
I just noticed there's a "version" button in the self-diagnostics menu. Perhaps it can be updated?

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I also did the find pub (in the restaurant section of POI) and it also suggested Cherbourg, I live in Oxford.

Even the cheapy sat navs have better POI's, I would disagree, I think the Honda one is a good system, just not got the exposure and take up from the POI people yet, maybe the next version will be better.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Its doing its bit for the "Don't drink and Drive" campaign ! :wink:

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Yeah, something i moaned about somewhere else, really annoying. Did you notice in the 5th gear review that when Wierdy Beardy did it he got a pub in France too.......well he was doing the report from there :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are going to demonstrate the "Find Nearest" feature, try Petrol station, works a treat :D

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
richierich said:
I also did the find pub (in the restaurant section of POI) and it also suggested Cherbourg, I live in Oxford.

Even the cheapy sat navs have better POI's, I would disagree, I think the Honda one is a good system, just not got the exposure and take up from the POI people yet, maybe the next version will be better.
I hope that's a typo up there :)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Sorry, I mean POI's on the cheap ones aren't that good, but the Honda one is quite a good system.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Some stand alone sat navs allow you to download the POI's of your choice. You can also download speed camera locations on motoways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've seen the same thing on other cars. I prefer the portable satnav units (TomTom) as they are easier to upgrade. Although I have to admit I like the look and ease of use of the Honda one compared to something stuck on the windscreen.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
To be honest I don't miss my ScottScott much :lol: thought I'd mis the 3D map but got used to not having it now and I like the system telling me the road numbers when turning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
who know's why ?

i live 400 meters from a Mcdonalds and if i ask my sat nav to find nearest fast food it tells me that i have to drive to charbourg in france and thats the nearest maccy d's !!! i guess i'll have to stick with burger king in the interests of fuel economey.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If some of the POI's dont work for whatever reason does that mean we can get a free update DVD when they do? :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Maldax said:
If some of the POI's dont work for whatever reason does that mean we can get a free update DVD when they do? :D
I would say 'absolutely' - The DVD Sat Nav system is not performing as it should.

I have not got mine yet, but when I do and if it does not work, then I shall insist on it being fixed, or a refund for the price of the option. If you had paid for a car that came with Front fogs, and it turned up without them, then a refund would be in order - I don't see the difference.................

An official complaint should be made to Honda. It is the only way that you can guarantee a replacement disk, if one becomes available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Luckily when I took it to France a month and a half ago and we wanted the nearest McDonalds she got us there!

I must say though the little sat nav woman got us to the door of the place we stayed. It was on a country lane about a couple of miles from Dinan. When in Dinan it showed far more restaurants than it does in Swansea and Dinan is a lot smaller.

It's the only time I'll listen to a woman giving direction :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts