2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Thought you might find this interesting.

Introduction In November 2007 bulletin HUK00000001050 was issued highlighting a potential concern with the handbrake fitted to 06/07YM Civic 3/5 door.
We are now in a position to launch an official PUD to replace the handbrake lever on all affected Civics within the VIN range.
A phased customer mailing will start the week commencing 7 April. An initial stock of handbrake levers will be automatically supplied to all sales dealers.
Please note that there is still not 100% parts availability so when the initial stock has been used please only order new parts in quantities actually required.
The first mailings will prioritise those Civics affected by both the drivers door latch and handbrake PUD's.
A copy of both customer letters are attached to this bulletin.
Not all Civic VINs will require this PUD, those Civics which have had the latest level handbrake lever already fitted (08YM part) will have been removed from the PUD database. Therefore please use Campaign for a VIN/PIN to verify that the vehicle is outstanding for this PUD.

Symptom If the handbrake is applied with the release button intentionally or unintentionally pressed there is a small risk that the handbrake may not latch sufficiently to hold the vehicle securely on a gradient.
If the handbrake is applied without touching the release button, the handbrake latching mechanism is unaffected.

Cause Due to ratchet and pawl dimensions, the handbrake latching mechanism may partially engage depending upon customers' operating method.

Countermeasure The handbrake latching mechanism has been modified to eliminate any risk of partial engagement.

Application to Production Line

Countermeasure has been applied from the start of 2008YM production.

Market Treatment Honda (UK) will write to the registered owners of all affected vehicles requesting them to take their vehicle to their local Honda dealer to have a new handbrake lever fitted.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Accept the one 'why dealers were letting cars leave there secondhand forecourt (probably the same for new ones too) without advising the consumer of this known issue'?
Once again, probably as it wasnt applicable to ALL civics i'd presume, however, anyone who purchased an 06/07 used civic left here knowing that they were/are being asked to come back for the amendment to take place.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Once again, probably as it wasnt applicable to ALL civics i'd presume, however, anyone who purchased an 06/07 used civic left here knowing that they were/are being asked to come back for the amendment to take place.
I commend you for checking each used Civic you have sold since this official announcement and it's encouraging some dealers have actually been open and honest enough to explain to customers their cars have a possible defective handbrake and it should be applied like so until they are called back to have it replaced.

Some dealers have kept stum and not given a monkey's to the consequences in order to maintain a sale.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeh, just to back this up, went to my dealer the other day about the 3rd gear issue ( finally got round to it, after owning it from sept. 1st....lol )and he mentioned that the handbrake issue had now gone to recall. So I am waiting for the call when my parts arrive, they gonna do both at same time.

P.S. Got call later in afternoon saying the gearbox parts are on back order. Oh well at least the ball is rolling now.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
No Letter for me either. Bought my 06 Civic in Feb and was not told about and issue with the handbrake only found out about when I joined Civinfo

·
Super Moderator
21,037 Posts
No letter here either - yet

Not too surprising..........I had my first service done elsewhere (after it should have been, 1 year and 3 weeks ) and I still never got a servicing reminder letter.

And that was on top of their ignorance about the i-shift upgrade.

TC used to highly praise them but for me - not impressed with the after sales service.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
No letter here either - yet

Not too surprising..........I had my first service done elsewhere (after it should have been, 1 year and 3 weeks ) and I still never got a servicing reminder letter.

And that was on top of their ignorance about the i-shift upgrade.

TC used to highly praise them but for me - not impressed with the after sales service.
We may be too far from you but give us a call and i'll get Gavin to look after you...

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Honda South Europe has not issue any technical information about recall. Only the "how to" letter up to now.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Went to stealers for to have work done and was asked if I had a letter Re Handbrake, so just said yes as you do and was fixed the day after ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
How can i tell if mine is an 06/07 one, (it would be an 08 plate but may have been an 07 manufactured one, also how do i tell if the hand break is faulty

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
handbrake

i received a letter today from honda and it says there is a recall on the handbrake and drivers interior door handle,so i think they will have my civic for a while as i also have a slipping clutch and creaking/knocking from the front shocks and passenger door handle is stiff

·
Registered
18 Posts
How can i tell if mine is an 06/07 one, (it would be an 08 plate but may have been an 07 manufactured one, also how do i tell if the hand break is faulty
I've had my handbrake done last weekend along with some other warranty work, and did get the recorded delivery letter in November.

Was browsing the web and found a link to the VOSA website showing all the published recalls. I got to it through Fleet News Online :: UK and European vehicle fleet industry information. Left hand menu has one called Vehicle Recalls and it gives details of all Civics affected by the handbrake.

Would still have my Civic anyday when you look at some of the other manufacturer recalls. Obviously does not list the ones the manufacturers are succeeding in hushing up.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
off topic, but interestingly no mention of a rear wheel falling off recall...

cheers for the link Happy :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
off topic, but interestingly no mention of a rear wheel falling off recall...

cheers for the link Happy :)
Funny you should mention the rear wheel. Think the VOSA website mentioned a problem with early Civic wheels. Think it was the bolts holding the wheels on which weren't thick enough.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Just got my civic 2 days ago and am trying to get up to date with all the info on here(fantastic site!), and well as wading through the owner's manual. Asked the dealer about the handbrake recall and he said that I would get a letter, in due course, from Honda. He also said that I should only apply the handbrake using the release button, rather that the ratchet...

Whilst my car is was registered in Nov 07 on a 57 plate, it has an 08 VIN. Am I correct in believing that my handbrake is ok. Would prefer not to ratchet for the rest of my life!! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts