2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
He also said that I should only apply the handbrake using the release button, rather that the ratchet...
If I am reading you right, it sounds like the dealer got it wrong.

You should NOT use the button on the Civic handbrake.

Not sure if your car is affected, but it probably is.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was just feeling confident until Angie's update. Perhaps it's worth a call to Customer Services to check the VIN after all ... or should I just keep ratcheting!!

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was just feeling confident until Angie's update. Perhaps it's worth a call to Customer Services to check the VIN after all ... or should I just keep ratcheting!!
I would say that we wait to see what the reply from the person in the post has to say. If they confirm that there's is a 08 Vin then it would seem that we have a problem. All Honda UK would say is that all 08 vins have the upgraded handbrake and they may not or maybe they are aware of 08's failing? and would tell you not to worry and apply the handbrake as you would do?

It could just be that they didn't apply it properly and by that I mean didn't really pull it up enough. I'm sure your handbrake will be fine and would apply it the way you should. It could be a simple reason after all.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
I would say that we wait to see what the reply from the person in the post has to say. If they confirm that there's is a 08 Vin then it would seem that we have a problem. All Honda UK would say is that all 08 vins have the upgraded handbrake and they may not or maybe they are aware of 08's failing? and would tell you not to worry and apply the handbrake as you would do?

It could just be that they didn't apply it properly and by that I mean didn't really pull it up enough. I'm sure your handbrake will be fine and would apply it the way you should. It could be a simple reason after all.

Brand new could still be an 07 my just a late registration (1.4 SE + for instance are all 07my's). If its an 08 MY then it will have ahd the new handbrake fitted at build.

There is then the issue of handbrake application. Has it been applied properly in the first place? or is it a case of the pads/discs cooling issue??

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Since the handbrake issue I will always leave my car in gear, end of problem

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't decide to make the upgraded handbrake lever a different colour or some other obvious change.

Any dealer (or us here) could simply ask the vital question.

A completely black lever would have been quite acceptable, considering the light grey paint scratches off.

Even a chrome effect button would have been easy to spot.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Brand new could still be an 07 my just a late registration (1.4 SE + for instance are all 07my's). If its an 08 MY then it will have ahd the new handbrake fitted at build.

There is then the issue of handbrake application. Has it been applied properly in the first place? or is it a case of the pads/discs cooling issue??
Still waiting to find out if the car was brand new but as its not the 1.4 SE+ and was purchased about the 9th of May I would think that its a MY08. The first handbrakes had an issue and who's to say that a small amount of the new ones don't? Its a chance with everything.

I would have thought that it was maybe not applying the handbrake properly because at least when you pull it up and hear the ratchet then you know its in place, whereas holding the button in you could still miss a notch and then if your pads and disks are hot then would cause the car to roll.

Before I got my CTR my Dad had said about the pads and brakes with the CTR and that its always best to leave it in gear, which is something I have always done. I even do that to cars where I don't apply the handbrake

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, but why must one go through that. I think the handbrake of a car should do the job of keeping it secure and motionless

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Yeah, but why must one go through that. I think the handbrake of a car should do the job of keeping it secure and motionless
I agree but it takes no effort just to leave it in gear.I would rather be safe than sorry

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Mine has just been done at the same time as my first service and I was amazed to find that the handbrake now feels completely different to operate. It feels a lot more sprung now with a softer action.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I dont know if this is related to the handbrake, but when i pull off from 0-5mph, generally in a traffic jam, i hear a creak, much like a handbrake has been left on.

Does anyone know if this is related to the above issue? I will be taking it back to the dealer soon for other issues, and will mention this then, but if anyone has the same problem please post! oh btw its a ctr 08 plate.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I was in my dealers the other week for a first service and they told me that there is still a handbrake problem with certain 08 models

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
There was talk of some guys on here having 'issue' with the Handbrake on MY08's - I've still never had mines done.

Although I doubt this is whats causing your issue shoulin. It sounds to me as if its a bit sticky, your not fully disengaging it or its a bit too tight and not slcking off enough

·
Registered
161 Posts
There was talk of some guys on here having 'issue' with the Handbrake on MY08's - I've still never had mines done.

Although I doubt this is whats causing your issue shoulin. It sounds to me as if its a bit sticky, your not fully disengaging it or its a bit too tight and not slcking off enough
Ive made sure the handbrake is full down, whilst sitting in a traffic jam for 2 hours last week moving from about 0-5mph for several miles. It sounds like the handbrake but I cant be sure. No worries I have to go to the dealer next week anyway. Thanks for the info all.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Ive made sure the handbrake is full down, whilst sitting in a traffic jam for 2 hours last week moving from about 0-5mph for several miles. It sounds like the handbrake but I cant be sure. No worries I have to go to the dealer next week anyway. Thanks for the info all.
It could be a sticky caliper and if its the back then I can see why would would assume its the handbrake.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts