2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some help would be much appreciated. I was putting my spanking new Rages on when as I was tightening one of the locking nuts, I felt it move off centre which means a bent stud so I decided to look at the others and there are many that are slightly bent. Should I be worried? I'm obviously tightening them too much so how tight should they be? I always tighten them till I hear that cracking sound.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Invest in a torque wrench.

Reactions: Demokritus

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm gunna looking into the cost of a Torque Wrench. If I try to bend the studs straight will that further weaken the studs? I'd still like to know how far people go in tightening the nuts and how easy it is to replace the studs?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
The wrench that comes with the Civic (tool kit) are set at this length to help you judge the correct tightness of the nuts.

i.e. hand tight with that wrench should be enough to hold the nuts in place. I usually do this and then give it less than a 1/8 turn just to nip them up a little.

Or as above, a torque wrench if you're concerned ;)

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
Yeah I'm gunna looking into the cost of a Torque Wrench. If I try to bend the studs straight will that further weaken the studs? I'd still like to know how far people go in tightening the nuts and how easy it is to replace the studs?
i was going to try and replace the stud but i'd end up breaking something else as i'm no mechanic. A new stud is only £5 from the dealer but they wanted £100 labour to do it, mmm no thanks i'll leave it as it is. does anyone know if its an mot failure if a stud is missing?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wrench that comes with the Civic (tool kit) are set at this length to help you judge the correct tightness of the nuts.

i.e. hand tight with that wrench should be enough to hold the nuts in place. I usually do this and then give it less than a 1/8 turn just to nip them up a little.

Or as above, a torque wrench if you're concerned ;)
I think I know where I've been going wrong. I've been using a long thin hoover attachment which I put over the wrench for extra leverage. Silly me. So, I don't have to tighten them till I hear that cracking noise then?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I think I know where I've been going wrong. I've been using a long thin hoover attachment which I put over the wrench for extra leverage. Silly me. So, I don't have to tighten them till I hear that cracking noise then?
Certainly not mate, you shouldn't hear any noise.

As I said, the bar is set at the correct length so that you can't over tighten them (unless you stand on it or you are Hee-man ;))

Ash, I believe the torque setting for all Civics is 108NM.

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
i was going to try and replace the stud but i'd end up breaking something else as i'm no mechanic. A new stud is only £5 from the dealer but they wanted £100 labour to do it, mmm no thanks i'll leave it as it is. does anyone know if its an mot failure if a stud is missing?
total failure unfortunately, go to a local mechanic should cost less than 50 quid

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
If you check out the BSI website it'll give you torque settings for every nut and bolt on your motor mate.
The British Standards Institution website? If so I couldnt find anything on there, but then again I'm probably not looking in the correct place

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
Thank you.
it will probably have to be snapped to get it out if its too badly bent, iirc there is a space in the rotation of the hub that will allow a wheel stud to be taken out without needing to remove the hub, that might be a totally different car though......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.