2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I have a Civic 1.8 2012 with 81000km, the engine consum 1l / 8000km from the beginning.
I look my engine today and i have the R3A on the left side.
View attachment 311528
but i have a R1A on the righ side. View attachment 311529

I have find this car on ebay a civic from 2017 and on the right side it's a R3A engine.
2017 HONDA CIVIC MK9 1.8 ENGINE PETROL R18Z4 BARE 4801 MILES #11822 | eBay

Bye
Seems that Motor Reference and Pistons References are different. And that the only way to get the information is using endoscopic camera :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
So, anyone succeed to solve the problem with the contribute of Honda? I have bad feelings about that, and I don't want to pay the all entire repair.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Update: Honda Italy agreed to replace the pistons under warranty, but I should pay all the others materials (gaskets, oil, etc...) and the labor. Results, 1980 euros in total. 850 euros only for the labor. Obviously for the moment I refused the proposal, the costs are about the 50% of the car's values. Sell your faulty Civic asap and never again Honda.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What year and mileage is your car, darkolo ?
Update: Honda Italy agreed to replace the pistons under warranty, but I should pay all the others materials (gaskets, oil, etc...) and the labor. Results, 1980 euros in total. 850 euros only for the labor. Obviously for the moment I refused the proposal, the costs are about the 50% of the car's values. Sell your faulty Civic asap and never again Honda.

·
Registered
337 Posts
To be honest, Honda aren't being too bad - it's an 8 year old car long since out of warranty.

It's disappointing but even Hondas occasionally go wrong - has it got full service history ? Have you owned from new ?

In the UK at least a main dealer would probably charge a lot more, assuming even that Honda would agree to part funding the work.

Loads more owners of BMW and VAG group with engine problems in cars newer than yours so I don't think Honda are too bad, you've just been unlucky

·
Registered
113 Posts
To be honest, is bad because the issue is known from a long time. I've talked with a person that works in Honda and he told me that they reipared at least ten Civic under warranty for the same issue, so Honda is playing dirty.
New car, and all the services are regular and from the same authorized dealer.
I'm available to pay the labor, sparks and oil, but the remaing parts have to be paid by Honda. I'm thinking to sell the car, and buy a Toyota. **** Honda, the've lost a customer.
BMW and VAG I know that they are worse.
Sorry, but I'm very pissed.
To be honest, Honda aren't being too bad - it's an 8 year old car long since out of warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One of the users of the Polish CivicForum was at an authorized service station today. When asked about faulty pistons, he was informed that the problem concerns engines with serial numbers up to R18Z4-1030320. It is a pity that there is still no official announcement from the European headquarters...

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the users of the Polish CivicForum was at an authorized service station today. When asked about faulty pistons, he was informed that the problem concerns engines with serial numbers up to R18Z4-1030320. It is a pity that there is still no official announcement from the European headquarters...
Hi all - very pleased to have just found this thread as my 2012 Civic 1.8 is a great car but with dreadful oil consumption (c. 1 litre per 1000 miles at 80,000 miles), R3A on the side of the block and a serial number lower than that posted above - in short a perfect fit for the pattern.

It's good just to know it's not just mine - but it will be better to get some response from Honda. I'll be speaking to the local dealer next week. Thanks again to all the posters above.

Incidentally before I started looking into this - and when my oil consumption was more like 1 litre per 400 miles !! - I tried adding this stuff Super Charge | Wynn's Europe.
I put one tin in every 500 miles (3 tins overall) and to a degree it worked with the oil consumption roughly halved. Still ridiculous though hence why I'm so pleased to have found this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everybody,

I have got R3A pistons (cf. previous posts), and my engine serial number is R18Z4-1028xxx, so in my case that respects this theory.

It is good that you could have such information from Honda in Poland. In France it was far different for me, let me explain :

Two monthes ago I contacted the mechanic of my Honda local dealer to explain him the fact that I have R3A pistons (checked with endoscopic camera), and to have more information about this (is it normal to have such pistons, could it be an explanation to such oil consumption problems, and if he could help me to have more information with Honda "headquarter" ?). He said me that he didn't know such problem (ok.) he had no internal official spare catalog so he can't help me for the pistons (ok...), and he didn't have means to contact a Honda internal expert so that will be easier if I directly contact the Honda Technical Support by myself informing them I call for him (ok.......).

I call them and got a cool guy that gave me a lot of informations (even if he was very "surprised" to be directly contacted by a customer, he is supposed to be contacted only by Honda mechanics, anyway...). He spent a lot of time with me on phone and opened an "incident folder" (sorry I don't know the english name) for me. But what he said to me was not very good news : actually Honda France depends on Honda Germany sister company, so in such case he had to inform Honda Germany, wait for their answer, and respect their potential investigation instructions. And as my car is out of warranty, if there is investigation to do I will have to pay for them.

I talk about it to an other Honda dealer that I trust more than the one of my town, and he explained me that "Germany" and "investigation" could be bad news : sometimes they ask for very detailled and "rigid" investigations. So I could have to pay for very expensive investigations, without result garantee of results. No way.

That for me the very frustrating part and why I'm very pissed of against Honda. I can understant that errors can happen on some car series, even for a constructor with a solid reputation like Honda. But when you ask them "Excuse me, my motor consums a lot of oil, and is equiped with pistons for wich I don't find information in online catalog, is it normal ?" and the only answer is "Wait, we call the Germany, we will probably have to disassemble your engine, and I don't know maybe we will find something, by the way you have to pay for that obviously" that is unprofessionnal (to be polite). Maybe I am overreacting, after all they just explained me that they can't do anything in such case without Germany intruction, but this is very frustrating.

A last point : I talk about it by chance with a non-Honda mechanic (I had to change my battery), and he explained me that he was a fan of Honda cars, had a lot of them in his life (S2000 for now, lucky guy...) and he explained me that sometimes Honda do "tests" series, and they most of the time send them to other markets (like Europe) because they want to have best ones for Japan market. I prefer to be careful with this information, I never heard such thing before, but that would explain some points.

Well sorry for the long post, I am a little bit disapointed with this problem too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A last point : I talk about it by chance with a non-Honda mechanic (I had to change my battery), and he explained me that he was a fan of Honda cars, had a lot of them in his life (S2000 for now, lucky guy...) and he explained me that sometimes Honda do "tests" series, and they most of the time send them to other markets (like Europe) because they want to have best ones for Japan market. I prefer to be careful with this information, I never heard such thing before, but that would explain some points.
This is one of the possible explanation. Another one, even more likely, is that the installation of R3A pistons with a reduced friction coefficient was necessary for Honda to pass the approval tests of the new model.

After reading your post, I start to understand that the key to a more open "cooperation" with Honda Poland was to publicize the matter in the media. Honda cannot deny the facts when photos of these "strange" pistons were published. It seems logical that since we have documented cases of R3A (and a few successful repairs), so there is no need to disassemble more engines to determine that they are equipped with pistons other than the expected R1A.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi!

Recently I bought a 9th gen Civic 2012 (march 2012) with a 1.8 engine and 78.000KM. I am currently awaiting delivery and only made a test drive (and now awaiting delivery). Sadly I found out about this subject while doing research about the engine (after purchase). I guess I'll have a big chance that my engine also will have the R3A pistons :( Or could I be lucky and hope that not all 35k of R3A equiped engines are affected that bad?

Furthermore I bought the car with a 6 month warranty and a 18 month extended warranty on engine, drivetrain and transmission.I hope there is a chance they can fix this issue under warranty if my engine is also affected.

So are all r3a equiped engines affected by this oil issue or is it indeed rare (as Honda is telling in their statement)?

·
4,490 Posts
Seems from the above that the engine number is the biggest clue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seems from the above that the engine number is the biggest clue.
Well it seems that my engine falls within the serial number range (1002xxx). I'll keep a close eye on the oil consumption since I have 6 months of full warranty and additional 18 months of extended warranty on the engine and transmission. I've read the whole thread and it seems if you got the problem the only way to fix it is to replace the pistons and rings :(.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know how to put files on the civinfo.com server, so below you have a preview of the image files uploaded to Google Drive. I hope they will be visible in the post.

The photos on the left show the R3A piston. The R1A piston, which is found in R18Z4 engines from 2013-2016 (maybe also in some engines from 2012), you can see on the right photos.
Salut y a t il solution pour cre probléme

·
Registered
4 Posts
Certainly this is not an isolated case and there are many Civics from the beginning of production in a similar situation. After the publication of the material about R3A pistons in the MotoDziennik's YouTube channel, Honda Poland promised cooperation and willingness to solve the issue of the "strange" pistons. We look forward to the official announcement on this matter.

I forgot to mention this previously, but the first 1,000 km (engine "break-in" time) I drove with Ravenol 5W30 HCL. For the next 10,000 km I used Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime 0W30 and now I have AMSOIL 0W30 Signature Series poured.

Pistons came from an engine of very low mileage (about 8,000 km).
My car was imported from Germany, so I didn't contact a local Honda dealer to report my "discovery". However, I know from my Polish colleagues that some authorized Honda services confirm our observations, while others are silent and hide behind internal regulations.

The engine runs smoothly and rev as easily as previously. I even noticed slightly improved fuel economy despite more frequent driving at high RPM.
Hello MiCyran, special thanks for your very very interesting findings, and the information you shared about the R3A vs R1A pistons.

I would like to ask you some questions about your pistons and rings change:
  • What is your actual oil consumption after the pistons (R1A) and rings (TPR32402) change?
  • How much is you actual service interval?
  • Why did you choose the TPR32402 rings instead of the original Honda rings replacement set (13011-RNA-A01)?
  • Why did you choose the Ravenol 5W30 HCL for the engine first 1000km?
  • Is there any reason you then switched to Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime 0W30 for the next 10000km, and then after you went to AMSOIL 0W30 Signature Series?
  • What oil are you currently using?
  • And why didn't you use in any case the suggested Honda 0W20 grade? (in most cases Honda shops suggest the Honda 0W20 oil, or the Castrol Titanium FST 0W20)
Special thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there
I have just read through a lot of the posts on this forum as I too have the same problem with oil consumption. I have the same make of car and it uses a lot of oil and I regularly have to add it.
I'm afraid I have no mechanical knowledge of cars (I'm a female that drives them but doesn't understand them!) but because of the problem I started to search to see if other owners of the same car had the same problem.
No idea if I have the R3A pistons but will try and find out.
If anyone does decide to contact Honda about this I'm more than happy for my details to be included.
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, Hawkmoon!

Sorry for the late reply, but I've rarely visited this forum lately. I will try to answer your questions shortly.

Q. What is your actual oil consumption after the pistons (R1A) and rings (TPR32402) change?

A. I have now driven about 35,000 km since the repair (the total mileage of the car is about 170,000 km), but the oil consumption all this time is so small that it is difficult to estimate it - maybe 0.1 L per 10,000 km. I pour the oil a little above the MAX level and it remains so until the next change.

Q. How much is you actual service interval?

A. I always change the oil every (roughly) 10,000 km.

Q. Why did you choose the TPR32402 rings instead of the original Honda rings replacement set (13011-RNA-A01)?

A. The only reason for choosing TPR rings was the price. TPR is former Teikoku - a manufacturer of rings for the first assembly for R18 engines.

Q. Why did you choose the Ravenol 5W30 HCL for the engine first 1000km?

A. The mechanic advised me to handle the gas pedal more gently for the first thousand kilometers. It was the time of the engine "break-in". I poured Ravenol 5W30 HCl oil, because that's what I had at hand. I did not want to pour the more expensive one for such a short period.

Q. Is there any reason you then switched to Liqui Moly Synthoil Longtime 0W30 for the next 10000km, and then after you went to AMSOIL 0W30 Signature Series?

A. I'm sure both oils are very good for our engines. I bought Liqui Moly out of curiosity how the engine will run, but the word "Longtime" does not matter to me, because I do not extend the intervals between exchanges. AMSOil is my primary choice. These oils do very well in tests, e.g. 540 RAT experiments

Q. What oil are you currently using?

A. AMSOIL 0W30 Signature Series.

Q. And why didn't you use in any case the suggested Honda 0W20 grade? (in most cases Honda shops suggest the Honda 0W20 oil, or the Castrol Titanium FST 0W20)

A. If I were the first owner of my Civic, I would definitely not be afraid of pouring good 0W20 oils. I even tried them on my engine before replacing the pistons. My engine isn't new though, and probably the fit of the parts isn't as tight as it was when it left the factory. For this reason I use oils with a slightly higher high temperature viscosity (mainly SAE 0W30).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello MiCyran,

Again, thank you very much for sharing your experiences, as well as for your answers.
I think they are very useful to everyone.
I have a 1.8L Mk9 with 260000km on the odometer. Like others here I have experienced an abnormal increase in oil consumption and contradictory symptoms, and I am currently evaluating the various options and what might be the best way for me to solve the problem.
You take care of your car very carefully, and it looks like the change of pistons and rings has definitely worked very well.
As for the oil, given that the ones you mentioned are all top quality oils of well reputed brands, I was just curious to understand better why you had changed brand and type of oil each time, and/or if there was any particular reason or benefit. Special thanks for your answers.
For sure Amsoil has always been, with proven merit, one of the most reliable and reputable US brands of high performance products.
Unfortunately, all motor oils are generally much more expensive here in Europe than in the United States.
From time to time, if possible, keep the community updated of your great achievements.

Best of all!

141 - 160 of 162 Posts