1921 - 1940 of 1991 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,922
Hi

I would use a 5w-30 oil

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
it is my first post here. Previous owner of my Civic 2007 used semi-synthetic oil 10W-40. Basically, it's widely used practice here to use mineral and semi-synthetic oils in any cars/engines with 5k kilometers interval (3k miles). I also did it but now I want to switch to full synthetic like Mobil 1 or Castrol 5W-40. The climate is very warm to hot during summer and temps do never go negative in winter time. So, any 5W-40 would be just fine. My question is do I need to flush it before I switch? How to do a flush? Or is it just safe to switch without doing a flush? The car details
Civic 2007 FK1
1.4 i-DSI
I-Shift

Honda filters are way too expensive here, so I use Bosch and Mann. Also, any recommendation on oem filters?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Hello @oilman !

Make = Honda
Model = FN1 / Type S
Year = 2007
Engine size/type = 1.8 / R18A2
Millage = 40k
Any mods = turbocharged / +100 hp

Type of use = fast road / trackday

Additional info = cannot measure actual engine temp - I predict 100+, ambient temp is +10 to +45, Amsoil Signature 5w-30

What do you want a recommendation for? = Engine + Gearbox

Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hello

I have 2007 petrol 1.8 70k auto. Would you recommend Shell Ultra 5w40 Fully Synthetic 5L?

Average milage is 4k.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,927
Hi,

Using a 5W40 wont cause any problems but standard on the civic would be a 5W30. Any of the shell options will be fine for it.

Regards

Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Just ordered my oil a couple of days ago. Motul x-cess 8100 5w40. The car is a Civic 2.2 Diesel TypeS GT 140 BHP on 132000 miles and from what i've read- 8th gen civic's in UK have no DPF's. Which means the oil should match acea a1/a3 standart ? Is this oil ok ?

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,929
Hi

I think the DPF was an option for them, but rarely taken. I think it was only people who wanted to avoid the London congestion charge who went for it.

The X-Cess covers the specifications, but a 0w-30 or 5w-30 would be a better choice, unless the car is modified or burns a lot of oil.

Cheers

Tim

·
4,773 Posts
Jeez, 97 pages and nearly 2,000 posts.
Why don't peeps just RTFM and do what it says?>:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make Honda
Model Civic
Year 2008
Engine size/type 1.3 idsi

Any mods

Type of use road

Additional info Motul Eco-Nergy 0w30

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Hi Oilman,

Can you give some advice if you can please?

I own a remapped '07 2.2 with 136k Km on the clock. Always used Castrol Edge 0W30 C3 oil and followed maintenance schedules under my ownership.
I live in Malta, which is not that cold in winter around 10-15c in winter mornings and some 30-35+ in summer. Most journeys are shorter and no longer than 8-10 Km. Most of the time is normal driving/traffic (longer idle sometimes) driving with some harsher driving on odd days

I've been noticing that there's oil consumption - around 100ml per 1000km. So between my yearly oil changes, covering an average 8000km, it would have lost approx 800ml. The engine works perfectly apart of this. I have no problem with doing topups where necessary, but should I change oil quality? and if yes what would be the suggestion? I prefer to go after high quality oil.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Hello @oilman !

Make = Honda
Model = FN1 / Type S
Year = 2007
Engine size/type = 1.8 / R18A2
Millage = 40k
Any mods = turbocharged / +100 hp

Type of use = fast road / trackday

Additional info = cannot measure actual engine temp - I predict 100+, ambient temp is +10 to +45, Amsoil Signature 5w-30

What do you want a recommendation for? = Engine + Gearbox

Thanks!
kind reminder ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oil change from shell to Liqui Moly

Hello am Nethy From Mauritius

n i drive a Civic Mk8 FK1 1.4 I-DSI

Make : Honda Civic Mk8
Model : Civic Mk8 FK1 1.4 I-dsi
Year : 2008

I wanted to change my oil from shell helix RX7 semi syntehe 10w40 which i've always used .

i now want to test the liqui moly oil.

which one would you advise bearing in mind the the car is over 120K Km and im in a tropical country with normal temp 20 degress c..

·
Registered
130 Posts
ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B.4 (or API SL or higher) 0W30. If you can get it at a decent price.

If you must go for something cheaper, raise the viscosity whilst ensuring the norm compliance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2009 civic 2.2 diesel with 75k. None dpf model.
Is Castrol magnets 5w30 C3 stop/start oil ok to use?
If not what's the recommended one other than edge 0w30?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello.
First of all. Sorry for my english.

Today I've checked some petrol 1.8 vtec civic from german market and saw that they use 10W40 oil (brand is unknown to me) and first I was a little bit worried (in matter of fact I still am) about oil burning, engine not being leaktight etc because this engine has only 120.000 km mileage and honda recommends 5w30 oil so they had to have some reasons to use oil with this level of density. But I've read on the internet that this is quite common practice in germany to use 10W40 and I have no reason to worry about if engine does not shows any particular symptoms of burning oil. (Unfortunately I don't have this luxury to drive this car for a thousand km and then check oil level because it is not mine.)

It's possible to go back to 5W40 oil after this 10W40 has been used for at least 2 years now in this car?

And just for record this is standard civic 1.8 vtec from 2010.

1921 - 1940 of 1991 Posts