2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 1991 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can definitely go back to a 5W-40 from 10W-40 - I did this myself and have experienced no problems. From what I've read, going from 10W-40 to, say, 0W-30 isn't advisable in a single change; it's better to gradually work down. I don't think 10W grade can be fully synthetic, whereas 5W usually is, so that would be another reason to change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for the answer and just to be sure, the fact that they use 10W40 doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with this engine right? This is one of standard oils recommended by honda for this engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you can see oil leaks or the engine doesn't sound right or pull right, those are signs of something wrong. But the mere fact that 10W-40 was used doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the engine. What's more important is that the oil and filter was changed on time. The same thing happened to me: I bought the car, which had been on 10W-40 for the past few years, then immediately put it on 5W-40 full synthetic. The car is running perfectly. But you definitely want to use a full synthetic. Honda recommends 0W-30, but also lists 5W-30 and 5W-40 as acceptable depending on climate. 10W-40 is not optimal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know I can be really annoying. :smile3:
So the only way to find out if this engine burns oil is a leap of faith and there's no other way, right?
I was in official garage of honda dealer (I don't know engish term for this) and they say they can not say for sure but they are pretty sure (in other words it looks like :laugh2:) this engine doesn't burn oil. :smile3:
I'd like to remind you this car is 120k km if mileage wasn't forged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I take it this is a car you're thinking of buying? There are some other things you can check to tell if there are oil problems:

1. Bluish smoke coming from the exhaust on start-up.
2. Burnt oil smell in the engine bay after driving.

Check the service history and scrutinize the car all over to get an idea of how it's been maintained. If you have doubts about the maintenance, you could get it checked out by a mechanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone know if FUCHS TITAN Supersyn F Eco-DT SAE 5W-30 will be a good fit for the Civic 08/09 2.2 i-cdti? Previous owner used 5W40 and I wanted to go back to the correct oil as listed in my manual and this oil ticks all the spec required. ?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone know if FUCHS TITAN Supersyn F Eco-DT SAE 5W-30 will be a good fit for the Civic 08/09 2.2 i-cdti? Previous owner used 5W40 and I wanted to go back to the correct oil as listed in my manual and this oil ticks all the spec required. ?
Supersyn F Eco-DT 5W/30 is good.
Unless you already bought it and want something in line with the factory spec, I would recommend Castrol Edge 0W/30 A5/B5 - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69391-...w-30-a5b5-fully-synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Tim,

Not sure if this has already been asked but have you any thoughts/opinions on Exol Optima LSH 0w30 C2 for a 9th gen 1.6 idtec?

Have read on an accord forum they like the Exol oils and even though its not something you stock if you have heard about it?

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Third service done with Petronas 7000 E, 5W-30, although its better to have acea C3, this one does the job for the price, also good prctice for high milage car (as mine) is to try CERATEC by LM, oil aditive, it will prtect your engine for loneger use.

·
Super Moderator
2,555 Posts
I done over 140000 miles in my 2.2 only every used castrol edge 0w30 and when I bought my 9g the 2.2 had 185000 miles on clock didn't burn a drop of oil
that tells me the castrol edge is good oil
and after my next service on the 9g(still 1 left free) ill be doing it myself and will be using castrol edge

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,953

·
Super Moderator
2,539 Posts
His profile says California near San Francisco, so bloody hot in summer.
Weather says 17C today

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,955
Interesting.

Does not get that cold out there in the winter so switching from one to the other is achieving nothing.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I would have said you definitely don't need a 0w in California - but looking at Texas who knows in these strange times 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make: Honda
Model Civic EX
Year 2005
Engine size/type: 1.8 I-vtec

Any mods Non

Type of use (road/track) Road, (fun drives occasionally)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,959
Make: Honda
Model Civic EX
Year 2005
Engine size/type: 1.8 I-vtec

Any mods Non

Type of use (road/track) Road, (fun drives occasionally)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used
Standard recrecommendation for your Civic is a 0w-20 meeting ACEA A1/B1. However if you cannot lay your hands on 0w-20, 0w-30 and 5w-30 are also suitable but will not return quite as good fuel economy.

Cheers,

Guy

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Personally I'm using 5w-30 currently (1.8 9th gen), no need whatsoever for a 0w in the UK as far as temps go & I find the 5w makes for a much quieter engine (I also buy it in 20l drums (y) ) I doubt anyone would notice any difference in MPG - any difference would I think be negligible

1941 - 1960 of 1991 Posts