2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got everything ready to change the engine oil here, had the car up on the ramp the other day when the FRSU was getting done and all i could see was a massive undertray, part of the undertray was ali though..can you get away with just removing the ali part or do you have to remove the whole undertray to change the engine oil ?.

And to save me searching does anybody know the total amount when replacing filter.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers richie, yeah car will be up on a ramp wouldn't attempt it any other way !

·
Registered
639 Posts
Best to take the front undertray off since you have to change the oilfilter too. There will be some oilspillage when you take out the oilfilter and the undertray will catch all the oil if you leave it on. With the undertray removed you can place a buceket underneath the oilfilter to catch the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best to take the front undertray off since you have to change the oilfilter too. There will be some oilspillage when you take out the oilfilter and the undertray will catch all the oil if you leave it on. With the undertray removed you can place a buceket underneath the oilfilter to catch the oil.
This was my worry, that mean the whole plastic undertray has to be removed.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the whole undertray doesn't have to come off ? there is a ally tray bolted to it unbolt that & you will see the sump plug easy to get too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;)
Guy above said to take the front undertray off i assume he means not just the ali part so oil doesnt go everywhere when the filter is removed.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Guy above said to take the front undertray off i assume he means not just the ali part so oil doesnt go everywhere when the filter is removed.
Nope you don't have to do that I didn't ? Unless you have the front end up about 5ft up In The air? Take the ally tray off & you will see you can put a catch tray if you want next to filter I put old towel ? oil filter of new one on straight away ;) if you take the whole undertray off that's a job in itself ? From under the front bumper to inside the wheel arch where it goes up the sides then further back into the middle of the car where the undertray ends ? A lot of clips & a few bolts for a oil change ? I watched tdi take the undertray when the fitted my clutch & diff it's a right hassle ? Have a look yourself buddy by taking the ally tray off two min job I did it last oil change as I change mine every 4 month in between services ;)

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope you don't have to do that I didn't ? Unless you have the front end up about 5ft up In The air? Take the ally tray off & you will see you can put a catch tray if you want next to filter I put old towel ? oil filter of new one on straight away ;) if you take the whole undertray off that's a job in itself ? From under the front bumper to inside the wheel arch where it goes up the sides then further back into the middle of the car where the undertray ends ? A lot of clips & a few bolts for a oil change ? I watched tdi take the undertray when the fitted my clutch & diff it's a right hassle ? Have a look yourself buddy by taking the ally tray off two min job I did it last oil change as I change mine every 4 month in between services ;)

I will give it a go, can you remember the oil amount with filter ?

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Not much oil comes out what I normally do is take Ali tray of drain oil sumplug back in, then I have new filter very handy old off you will get a little have a towel underneath & some paper towels, take old filter off keep upright with paper towels underneath it catch the little spillage with it then when its stopped if you place it on your towel,put a bit oil new filter do that beforehand then new filter on straight away clean around the filter housing, seems long winded but once you have done it once it's a doddle I have minimal spillage ? Clean everything back up car back down after replacing everything top up oil ;) go up down street leave a bit then recheck oil top up if required ;) happy days ;) believe me it's a doddle matey :)

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
10mm socket for the tray (6 bolts I think) and 17mm for the sump plug, removing the filter can be very messy and not that easy to reach, put as many old towels as you can under the filter to minimise the oil spill when removing the filter, and I think it is 4.4ltrs of oil.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10mm socket for the tray (6 bolts I think) and 17mm for the sump plug, removing the filter can be very messy and not that easy to reach, put as many old towels as you can under the filter to minimise the oil spill when removing the filter, and I think it is 4.4ltrs of oil.
Just double checking this and hopefully somebody can confirm, full oil change including new filter on an FN2 is 4.4L ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts