2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda Civic is less than 2 years old and just passed 30.000km. Now I got a service message, service #3, oil change in my CVT auto transmission within 29 days. I think this is very early and rather expencive, approximately 200 EUR.
When I read my service book, change of oil in the gearbox (symbol 2), I find a note number 3. It says cars with automatic transmission should change oil at every 60.000km or 3 years, and the future changes should be made at 40.000km or 2 years.
So the big question, should I follow the service message in the car or follow the service program decribed in the book.
My garage don't know, they just have information what to do at service number 3, not how often.
Someone knowing more about this? Should I wait until 60.000km or 3 years.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was told by my dealer when I bought car that the oil in a cvt should be changes every two years, regardless of mileage

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
What country are you in as different countries have different reminders

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine in Ireland dealer said every two years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So "Stranger", seems like your service reminder is like mine, 30.000km or 2 years.
But let us read in the service book, in page 29 (in mine) note 3. Free translation from Swedish:

Driving in mountain area with low speed or tow will cause higher temperature in the gearbox. This means that the oil has to be changed MORE OFTEN than reccomended by the service reminder system. .........Cars with automatic transmission should change oil every 60.000 km or after 3 years. The upcoming changes will be at 40.000km or latest every second year.

My dealer could not find any written directives concerning time for 10th generation. In generation 9, she told me, it was 120.000km or 6 years.
So, according to the service manual it is better to drive hard in the mountains, then you can wait until 60.000km or 3 years. CRAZY, it can't be correct!
I've been sending an e-mail to Honda Sweden and asked them. Something is wrong. I think our dealers love to make money.

·
Registered
209 Posts
From my manual. When you say automatic do you mean cvt or the 9 speed auto box?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks azc, you found something. I have a CVT. Still my car does not have 40,000km or 24 months.
Will be interesting to hear what Honda says.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My car is in today for its 2 year/40000km service.
It main Honda dealer and just been informed CVT oil change not due untill 3 year/60000km.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AZC, thank you, finally good information. The southern part of Sweden is very flat, but I could claim that it is very hilly and my car should follow the advice for mountain area, more often = 60.000km or 3 years.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you have the service reminder system it will tell you when you are close to service day by an I dictated number 3.
Mine shows Service AB required which is just oil and filter. So if it showed AB3. It would be engine oil and filter plus transmission fluid change.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
I got a reply from Honda Sweden. It must be something wrong in the (my) service reminder. It should be 60.000km or 3 years. Honda has offered oil change free of charge, in order to avoid future service reminder problems. Great Honda!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts