2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I've got an 06 1.8ex that is due an oil change. I was going to drop it into the local garage to get this done, but whilst searching through posts on here noticed someone mentioning doing the oil change yourself with a fluid extractor pump? Has anyone done this? Is it an ok method for an oil change, or a stupid option?

Mu understanding is having bought the pump (like this one) you'd insert the pipe down the dipstick pipe as far as it will go, pump the oil out (there should be around 3.6 ltrs come out?) Fill back up with oil 'till the dipstick shows sufficient has gone in?

I don't have the apparatus to safely lift the car up to do a 'proper' oil change, hence this being my only option other then taking it in, as such I can't do an oil filter change as well, is it ok to change the oil without doing the filter as well?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
You will never get the sludge out of the bottom of the sump or be able to get all of the old oil out. So whilst not ideal, it better than running old oil. Fine if you want to do intermediate oil changes at home. Not sure about petrols but the diesels oil filter does not need the car to be raised to change.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
A couple of axle stands and chocks aren't expensive from amazon or any other good online shopping service. Trolley jacks aren't too bad neither, just make sure they're at least two tonne in weight capacity. Also worth buying a sump plug with a magnet. Catches all the detritus...

Late to the show as usual!

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
Saves a lot of time and mess. Used 1 for the last 4 years . Gets about 6+ litres out of my diesel and I don't have to lay under the car as my filter is at the front on the top.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I prefer normal change oil. Lift up the car, use axle stands, remove screw, filter etc. Save a money. Easy to make. If u want do something good for your engine just buy engine oil cleaner (flush) before change oil.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm doing 5000 mile oil change on my honda. I'm using the pela 6000 oil extractor and it is working beautifully to extract oil. I can extract about 5.2l oil out.

Considering refill is 5.9l oil and the oil filter take about 0.2l oil this I consider very good. The pela pump is acknowled to be the best, and is extremely well made. I have done about six oil changes and it works well still. Key is to get the oil warm then extract. It takes about 50 min to extract the oil, this is is slightly longer than ideal but you can change the oil filter in this time!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
The total engine oil capacity of the i-CTDi is actually 6.5L, so obviously Honda don't expect you to get it all out when they quote 5.9L for an oil change... even when the sump is drained in the traditional manner, plenty gets left behind (I've had the sump off and I've seen it!).

I'm interested in getting a fluid extractor, but I'm disappointed they might take 50 minutes!

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I had a Smart and had to use a Pela pump as the early ones have no drain plug. All 600 and 700cc Smarts burn oil, maybe because you can't get the majority of the old oil out? With a Pela pump you need to be certain that the drain tube is right to the bottom of the sump, but there is no way of telling, plus, the tube is only about 3mm internal diameter, so any bits of metal will have to stay there!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It was pretty clear from the buildup of residue around my sump plug, and the condition of the bolts on the inspection plate, that in all the services I had been for (at Honda and other garages) it had never been removed before. I guess it's just easier for a mechanic to stick a hose down the dipstick and let it pump out whilst getting on with other service tasks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts