2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to know how many type R owners have changed their oil after 6 months.
As mine is almost 6 months old now (4000 miles) I did change mine at the weekend and refilled it with Castrol edge 0w-30 fully synthetic, since doing this I have read a thread on the forum saying not to do this until the first service is due as there is a special additive in the oil from the factory.
So have I made a mistake in doing this? and if so what might be the consequences of my actions.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I did mine last week @ 4500 miles aswell

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Bonzo......
Yes there may be an additive but if your oil light starts beeping wouldn't you add??? I would! And when it did go on I did and no problem at all. A dealer told me that it will need oil. So thats it! NO PROB!:D

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Just over 11,000 miles; no oil change and no warning light. Oil level now down to the lower half of full - but booked in for her 1st service in two weeks, so will be changed then.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
HUMMMM That's odd!

Just over 11,000 miles; no oil change and no warning light. Oil level now down to the lower half of full - but booked in for her 1st service in two weeks, so will be changed then.

Don't mind my saying that that seems a bit too long for your first service. Here in Greece, we have to go for service every 10,000km (4,500 miles) or every 6 months . Which ever comes first. But I think maybe cause of our hot climate down here... is the reason for the oil to go down like that. I was told by the dealers service dept. that it would be needed.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Don't mind my saying that that seems a bit too long for your first service. Here in Greece, we have to go for service every 10,000km (4,500 miles) or every 6 months . Which ever comes first. But I think maybe cause of our hot climate down here... is the reason for the oil to go down like that. I was told by the dealers service dept. that it would be needed.
Yes, perhaps it is the different climate - in the UK it's 12,500 miles or 12 months between services.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We are all told, as type-R owners anyway, that we need to keep an eye on topping up oil levels, I haven't had to do mine once in almost 6months, it's been fine.

Yes, perhaps it is the different climate - in the UK it's 12,500 miles or 12 months between services.
No it isn't. I have to go back after 10000 km or 6213.71 miles (thank you Google). I Drive a CTR.
If you re-read mattfog's post, he states 12,500 miles is the UK requirement. As you are in Belgium, it must be different. It obviously varies from country to country.

P.S. I, like mattfog, also drive a CTR and it is 12,500 miles or 12 months.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
The first oil change for the Type-R

OK Then that means it all depends on which country you live in
1) Climate conditions
2) Subject to warranty
Here in Greece we get "7 years warranty " They say either 6 months or 10,000km BUT IF you go after the 6 month period or after the 10,000km you loose the 4yrs. of the 7yrs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We are all told, as type-R owners anyway, that we need to keep an eye on topping up oil levels, I haven't had to do mine once in almost 6months, it's been fine.

If you re-read mattfog's post, he states 12,500 miles is the UK requirement. As you are in Belgium, it must be different. It obviously varies from country to country.

P.S. I, like mattfog, also drive a CTR and it is 12,500 miles or 12 months.
I meant that it apparently isn't (only) climate related. There is not that much variation between the UK and Belgium. Can't really explain the variations.

·
Registered
337 Posts
OK Then that means it all depends on which country you live in
1) Climate conditions
2) Subject to warranty
Here in Greece we get "7 years warranty " They say either 6 months or 10,000km BUT IF you go after the 6 month period or after the 10,000km you loose the 4yrs. of the 7yrs.
Wow 7 years? That'a awesome! My dealer's explanation is that the car's engine will last longer when you go sooner.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Sure the engine will last longer if you change your oil every 10,000. The service book that we get here in Greece states every 10,000km or 6 months and at 20,000 or another 6 months will most likely be a bigger service. What ever the case, we have the best engines around. And that's a fact. Hondas the best so f_____k the rest

1 - 14 of 14 Posts