2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the correct tool for a diesel oil filter

I'm fairly sure the correct tool is a 14 flute 74mm

I know for a 2.2 diesel a 14 flute 76mm works and a thread I saw somewhere implied this tool was a a bit loose on the diesel but worked, so that would imply a 74mm is correct

Has anyone actually bought a tool that is a 100% fit ?

Yes, I know you can buy a universal 3 pronged tool that works (I have one of these) but this mashes up the filter a bit. I just like to have the correct tool as it makes everything easier.

Any advice welcome !

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I have the tool bought when I had the 2.2 diesel Accord and it fits just fine the 1.6 oil filter.
Just can't be sure if it's a bit loose or not. It does the job just fine, though!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
A search in a few parts websites come up with the 76 mm size for the oil filter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm more confused than ever....

One ebay supplier said that the correct item is 182270383228 which is a 74mm 14 flute

Maybe 2mm isnt so much, I have a similar setup on my BMW and I line the tool with masking tape so make a snug fit and it works fine - maybe thats all I need to do

Might have a look in Halfrauds as they do a 76mm tool

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - I've just bought a 76mm tool from Halfords and it seems to fit my old filter (slightly distorted by removing it with the three legged tool)

So hopefully it'll do the job - once I have the new filter I can check for sure how good a fit it is

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
I'm trying to find the correct tool for a diesel oil filter

I'm fairly sure the correct tool is a 14 flute 74mm

I know for a 2.2 diesel a 14 flute 76mm works and a thread I saw somewhere implied this tool was a a bit loose on the diesel but worked, so that would imply a 74mm is correct

Has anyone actually bought a tool that is a 100% fit ?

Yes, I know you can buy a universal 3 pronged tool that works (I have one of these) but this mashes up the filter a bit. I just like to have the correct tool as it makes everything easier.

Any advice welcome !
Alright, I had a 2.2 and the same tool works on the 1.6. I use the same tool to service my 1.6

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ive got a complete box set I bought a few years ago which has been used on various cars and it was not expensive. Far better tool than the universal claws and compression bands. Always work in difficult positions and filters seem to be positioned in such a way that make these tools the most accessible.

By coincidence just changed my oil and filter after I came home today while the engine was warm, using a Sealey extractor, which I have had for years and worth its weight in gold. Takes about three quarters of an hour without getting the hands dirty. and it probably leaves about half a litre in the sump.

I change the oil every 5000 miles using fully synthetic and occasionally drop it via the sump plug in case you ask.

I don't know whether it is a fact but perhaps changing the oil at frequent intervals might stave off the DPF problem.

That's my contribution for what its worth.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
Ive got a complete box set I bought a few years ago which has been used on various cars and it was not expensive. Far better tool than the universal claws and compression bands. Always work in difficult positions and filters seem to be positioned in such a way that make these tools the most accessible.

By coincidence just changed my oil and filter after I came home today while the engine was warm, using a Sealey extractor, which I have had for years and worth its weight in gold. Takes about three quarters of an hour without getting the hands dirty and it extracts down to almost the last drop.

I change the oil every 5000 miles using fully synthetic and occasionally drop it via the sump plug in case you ask.

I don't know whether it is a fact but perhaps changing the oil at frequent intervals might stave off the DPF problem.

That's my contribution for what its worth.
On 56K and never had a DPF problem. Bought the Sealey Oil Extractor but the tubes provided were too big to fit down the dipstick of my 1.6 9G so had to resort to conventional method of draining oil.

I have the tool for removing the oil filter for the 8G 2.2 and it works for removing the filter on the 9G 1.6.

Reactions: poor1

·
Registered
431 Posts
On 56K and never had a DPF problem. Bought the Sealey Oil Extractor but the tubes provided were too big to fit down the dipstick of my 1.6 9G so had to resort to conventional method of draining oil.

I have the tool for removing the oil filter for the 8G 2.2 and it works for removing the filter on the 9G 1.6.
Mine (Sealey) came with three tubes and have fitted every car I've had including the Honda Civic (Mk 9 - 2.2 diesel). Perhaps Sealey might have other tubes if you ask because its a very worthwhile tool.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Correction. When I did the calculation again I find that the suction method of extracting the oil from the sump must leave at least half a litre behind.

My apologies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts