2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.2 I-cdti ex 2006, last week threw me a check engine oil level warning on my dash while doing 60mph down the dual carriage way, engine was warm.
Got home, let the car settle so I could accurately measure the oil level and was just under the full mark on the dipstick?
Week has gone by with not seeing the error till today, on way back from Reading on the M4, 70-75mph, 6th gear around 2k rpm, engine warm and it popped up again. Stopped at halfords and bought some 0w 30 oil (haven't added it yet) and when I started the car no fault and drove the rest of the way home, busy town roads, with no error??
Just gonna check the oil again after it's settled but is this a common fault as a few days ago it certainly wasn't low...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My oil level light came on this weekend, the oil was 3/4 on the dipstick so not very low? I've had this before and the dealer told me that the alert is triggered early on a Type R? true, who knows?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Had it myself a couple of times when the dipstick shows OK. Normally it doesn't come back after the engine has been turned off if it's fine.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I've got this issue aswell with my 2.2. Had the dealer check it, but they can't find anything wrong with the car and they confirmed me that my Civic has already been updated to prevent this very early warning from appearing.

So they adviced me to regularly check my oil level. When things do go seriously wrong though a red warning light should appear. In the meantime they are searching for a sollution with Honda Benelux.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil level sensors are programmed to think when the oil level is at the max the sensor only reads the oil level at 50%. So when the oil level is halfway on the dipstick the sensor reads empty and brings the light on. So in actual fact there may be nothing wrong at all. #intheknow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts