2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I everyone.
I have an old Accord (1995) 2L autobox with 273.000 km on the clock without any issue.
But since a few days, after at least half an hour ride, on iddle, the oil pressure warning light is flashing.
Giving 50 or 100 rev. up, the light disappear.

Any idea of what could cause this ?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes !
Oil and filter has been changed 3500 km ago, oil level is OK and oil quality too.
Honda servicing all time.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
That reminds me of the time when some cars had an oil pressure gauge. For high mileage cars at idle, the gauge would read almost zero, worse when the oil was hot. It could be symptomatic of general engine wear. You might want to consider using a thicker oil.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you're right :-(
Do you think it should be only an oil pump issue ?
wearage of the pump ?
Or pressure sensor issue ?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Yes you're right :-(
Do you think it should be only an oil pump issue ?
wearage of the pump ?
Or pressure sensor issue ?
As it is only on at idle and it is a fairly high milage car I don´t think it is the sensor, I think you really have low pressure.

Worth having a garage look at it before any real damage is done.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess you're right :-(
The issue is that I'm currently negociating with Honda to buy a Civic, and if they know my car is bad it will be harder !
And as Honda France is negating the crisis, the coming of the MY09 car and so on, refusing to lower prices on MY08, it's already uneasy.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Well, I guess you're right :-(
The issue is that I'm currently negociating with Honda to buy a Civic, and if they know my car is bad it will be harder !
And as Honda France is negating the crisis, the coming of the MY09 car and so on, refusing to lower prices on MY08, it's already uneasy.
Try pouring some really thick oil in to it and see if the light stops coming on. If it does, trade it in.

You may want to go to a non-Honda garage to check the fault.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes the think oil idea is a good one, we have something called STP, and ive used that on old tired engines before.

Any smoke at all?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which kind of thick oil are you thinking about ?
Trade in is what I was curently on before this issue, but Honda only gives me the Governement aid of 1000 € :-(
Non-Honda mechanics don't want to touch this kind of car in France :-(

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No smoke at all.
Everything's perfect.
Noise, vibrations, ... unchanged
No powerloss as far as I can see (you know, with these damned cameras everywhere)
Oil consumption is rather low regarding the mileage.
Works like a "jeune fille" as we say in France ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts