2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about to do a long journey up to North Wales from London tomorrow, so this evening I topped up the engine oil.

Checked the dip-stick and the level was about a quarter below the top mark.

I think I might have put to much oil in, because now the mark is about 8mm above the top mark.

I went away and cleaned the inside of the windscreen (because an old windscreen suction phone mount had melted to it in this heat) and after I'd finished and tidied up, I noticed a little puddle under the car, but not under the engine... under the middle of the car on the left hand side.

I've checked underneath and there's actually something dripping from the middle, the front and the back of the under tray. Although the largest amount is dripping from the middle.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, or my mind playing tricks, but I think I can also smell fuel.

I moved the car and dipped my finger in the puddle, it was very dirty but that could be from the ground. I put my hand underneath the drips and it didn't feel as viscous as I would imagine oil to be.... perhaps this is because the ambient heat (38 degrees here today at it's peak) has thinned it out???

It doesn't appear to be leaking anymore, but my question is this:

Could this just be oil overflow after putting too much oil in the car?

Would too much oil be a problem?

Could it be a diesel leak?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just a bit concerned.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you had the Air Con or Automatic Climate control on?
No mate, my AC hasn't worked for about 4 years. Never been able to afford to get it fixed. Had the relay replaced when under warranty from the dealership, but that didn't make a difference. They re-gassed it as a "good will gesture" as it's not covered by warranty but within a few days it stopped blowing cool air again. Then a mechanic "mate" had a look, did a DIY re-gassing which again only worked for a day. With the car only worth a few hundred quid itself, we've never seen the point in getting it fixed for the sake of a few weeks a year when simply rolling the windows down isn't good enough.

I've moved the car up a bit, it was still leaking a bit but the new puddle is tiny compared to the original one, so it seems to be stopping now. I think I must have just over filled the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
was it clean oil or dirty
that should tell you if its over spill or from a leak
also the level will drop on dip stick if its leaking

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Assuming everything is intact, there isn't really anywhere for the oil to come from - The only way in is the filler; and the only ways out assuming no leaks are: The sump, the filter housing, and gradual loss over time (Due to engine operation, PCV, etc - Won't leave a puddle!)

Given that you've glugged some in, I imagine you may have splashed some onto the undertray or some may have drizzled from the filler whilst you were filling; It'll drop onto the undertray and pool leaving you with a little puddle underneath until it all drips out.

As for your AC, If you do get a UV Regas (Should be in the region of £60 depending on the place) you could have a look with a torch and see where the leak is (The symptoms would point to that) - Probably a stone to the condenser which you can get for ~£80 on ebay.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was it clean oil or dirty
that should tell you if its over spill or from a leak
also the level will drop on dip stick if its leaking
It was dirty when I poked my finger in the puddle, but very clear/clean when I let it drip on my hand.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given that you've glugged some in, I imagine you may have splashed some onto the undertray or some may have drizzled from the filler whilst you were filling; It'll drop onto the undertray and pool leaving you with a little puddle underneath until it all drips out.
I think it's this, I do recall "glugging" it in and missing the filler hole a bit. I'm an idiot and don't own a funnel.

I know only a little amount of oil can make a puddle that makes it look like MUCH more oil has leaked than really has. It seems to have stopped now anyway. I guess I'll find out on the motorway tomorrow... fingers crossed it dies on me and I need to buy a new civic lol :)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
if it shows 8mm above the max line on the dipstick I'd be removing the excess - 8mm of oil across the sump is a lot of extra oil...

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so it's definitely diesel dripping off the under tray in 3 locations, the biggest area is in the middle of the car slightly over to the left hand side.

It doesn't leak when left alone switched off, as in the tank doesn't drain. But it's definitely leaking whilst driving and every time I accelerate, a few moments later the car interior stinks of fuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts