2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
i dont have a civic as such, i have a frv 2.2 cdti with a N22A1 engine. My other half took it shopping the other day and on her way home about 5mins away she said the red oil light had came on i have took a look and found the oil pump chain has snapped, i have drained the oil and removed the oil filter to look for any traces of metal fragments but couldn't see any. but when the chain has snapped its taken out some of the engine block just above the pump, this bit doesnt seam to significant, and i feel it dosn't really do anything anyways. would be be worth fitting a new oil pump chain and new cam chain while im at it, or would you say the engine is dead and a new one is needed?
Wood Gesture Finger Wall Tints and shades

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
If it wasn't shut off immediately when that happened I'd say that engine is probably done, you would have to pull the oil pan and check the pickup for debris.

However because the pump was not running, chances are debris was not shot everywhere but engine lubrication was lost when it was running so there maybe a chance of bearing, cam, cylinder, turbo damage due to oil starvation.

Do you have any clues as to what caused it, chain/sprocket fatigue, pump locked up, incorrect/low/overdue oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it wasn't shut off immediately when that happened I'd say that engine is probably done, you would have to pull the oil pan and check the pickup for debris.

However because the pump was not running, chances are debris was not shot everywhere but engine lubrication was lost when it was running so there maybe a chance of bearing, cam, cylinder, turbo damage due to oil starvation.

Do you have any clues as to what caused it, chain/sprocket fatigue, pump locked up, incorrect/low/overdue oil?
the sump was removed in order to check the chain and oil pick up is fine, sump clear of any debris
, as regards to cause it was due a service i had just spent just shy of £200 on parts to service it the day before and was awaiting for parts to arrive. oil level was fine just under max as never really needed top ups between services and the correct oil has always been used 0w30 ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1 as stated in the handbook

·
Registered
893 Posts
Fit a new chain and see how it goes. Chances are you will be fine. Had you taken it into a garage to have the chain renewed you would never know there was anything amiss. You have had a look yourself and fund no debris and no debris is likely to have got through the sump oil pickup or the filter.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I agree if it is clean then I would also probably replace the chains and pray.

Question is how far do you want to go with parts, a full kit of chains, guides, tensioners and sprockets runs £200 to £400 alone.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I agree if it is clean then I would also probably replace the chains and pray.

Question is how far do you want to go with parts, a full kit of chains, guides, tensioners and sprockets runs £200 to £400 alone.
Obviously the chain but there is not much load on a chain driven oil pump so unless here is some obvious weakness as little as possible. The sprockets will be hooked if badly worn but that would be unlikely. Yu have been very unlucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts