2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the past I owned a 2007 Type S and I either ordered the parts from Cox Motor parts or Honda and did the servicing myself to keep costs down.

I have recently bought a 2011 Type R and I fully plan on doing the same thing with it. It's not ready for a service yet, but I do want to buy some oil just in case it needs topped up. I have looked at the previous threads on oil and 0w30 seems to be the general consensus, and it's also what the Castrol and Mobil 1 websites recommend.

However, I had a look at Cox Motor parts website and they sell a complete service kit for the Type R, which has left me with a few questions.

1. The oil they are selling is Castrol but it's 5w40 fully synthetic. I'm confused, any other searches are telling me 0w30 or 5w30, where did 5w40 come from?

2. Is £175 a good price for all filters, the oil and a set of spark plugs, or could I walk into my Honda dealer and get the same price?

3. Will 5 litres of oil be enough, I read somewhere that the engine capacity is 4.4 litres but a 'service fill' is over 5.

4. I've had diesel cars for years now, will the spark plugs need gapped or is that done automatically? Plus, are the Honda spark plugs worth using or do other brands do as good or a better job for less money?

Sorry, I realise this is a lot of questions in one go but better than starting multiple threads!

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Using 0-30 in mine as recommended by Honda, pretty sure 5 litres of oil and a filter were about £55 inc vat, that was from a main dealer. Spark plugs are not cheap on the FN2, denso ones from euro car part are around £50 if you use a discount code, can’t think an air filter is more than about £20 for a genuine one if that is your preference. Some of the guys on here do use various different grades of oil. The stuff Honda sell in their bottles is rebranded Castrol Edge

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
I would only use 5w40 fully synthetic, fuchs, millers etc. Spark plugs, I recommend Ngk iridium laser. They can be bought for £35.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
4.4 litres sounds right for oil, I've always had some left from 5 litre bottle and still sometimes over max on dipstick.

5w 30 or 5w 40 have often been recommended.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts