2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Civinfo-ers!

I did something daft today with my 2006 2.2 EX Civic, ran over a hidden kerb in a council car park (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire) and ruptured the oil sump it seems (oil everywhere!). Hopefully this is the only damage done as I turned the engine off immediately.

Had it recovered using a truck and taken to my local garage where they quoted me £605 (iVAT) to:

1) Replace oil sum (£265 + VAT)
2) De-gas and re-gas Air-con as this apparently is attached to the sump (£60 + VAT)
3) New oil and filter (£38.50 + VAT)
4) Labour (£140 + VAT)

Does this seem reasonable, because to me the labour and sump charges seem a lot higher than would be expected?

I rang a Honda dealer (Stratford-upon-Avon), who also quoted me £600 (iVAT), so would expect a small local garage to be a fair bit cheaper?

Does anyone know where I'd be able to purchase my own sump?

Thanks for your help in advance, very grateful, as always.

George

·
regrets his username
7,983 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
A new sump is about £300 including VAT, so sounds reasonable. You could just pick one up from a breaker and save some cash there.
Labour charge - well that depends on the hourly rate but I'd expect a couple of hours at least to complete the job so sounds about right for a dealer but high for an independent.

Question back to you though - do you not have the plastic undertray on the car? I would expect that to prevent this sort of thing.

Edit: I see dweezle has answered whilst I was typing - those eBay links look correct to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing, thank you both for your swift help, very much appreciated. It's guys like you who make this forum what it is.

Just bought an oil sump from eBay for £75, £225 less than a new one!

Will just get garage to fit now.

Cheers again,

George

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
Assuming it's a similar arrangement to my Accord, while the aircon compressor does need to be removed to remove the sump it does not need to be degassed and can be left tied back out of the way whilst replacing the sump.

Quite a lot of effort in replacing the sump, a lot of things are bolted to it and the subframe has to be lowered to get it off.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I did this a few years ago and claimed it on my car insurance - which paid out. It is an accident. Of course you would have to consider whether any effect on your no claims makes it worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts