2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, apologies if this is a daft question...

My oil light came on yesterday so I went straight to the Honda garage and bought a litre of shell 5w30 fully synthetic oil. The man in the garage said it was best to do it in the morning when the engine was cold and all the oil in the sump.

My car was serviced in june so I asked him if it was normal for the engine to use up oil, he said it was fine.

This morning I checked the oil cold, and it was slightly below the bottom dot, so I gradually put about 250ml in until it was above the bottom dot.

The service book said to warm up the engine for 3 mins and then check the dipstick again to make sure the oil is not above the top dot. I have done this and when the engine is warm the oil level has dropped way below the bottom dot on the dipstick again.

So have I put enough oil in my engine?
Thanks, Matt

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Just under the top dot on a cold engine was spot on for me (even had that confirmed by a honda "tech")
the warm readings can be hard to see and get right. I was reading twice a wk one on a cold engine on a sunday morning, the other on a Thursday on the forecourt 5mins after filling.
Max on a cold is bang on imo, and im sure its 1ltr required between dots

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the advice, ill chuck some more in this afternoon.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Get some more in mate, go by the manual not by some random bloke. As the manual states, engine warm, level ground, dip and retest.

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
But a max reading on cold is pretty much full, honda words not mine, oh & the garage that did my 6mth oil change also had it max on cold. A warm reading with new oil is a right bummer to read & more importantly to get right, if its on lower dot when cold keep adding till on max, it's too easy to keep adding when warm and get an incorrect reading and before you know it you have to much in and it's an unnecessary trip to a garage

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I also prefer cold tests. You can do it when warmed up and left for 5 mins to drain but sometimes messier dipstick is hard to read, especially with clean oil.

I find only slight difference between cold and warm tests.

Also book recommends oil at or near top, so don't run at minimum and VTEC it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put the rest of the litre in cold this morning, came up to top dot. Warmed the engine and then it was about half way between the dots.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
How long do you warm engine for?

And you need 5-10 mins for oil to settle before redip.

Sorry if teaching u to suck eggs, but big diiference between hot and cold not what I have found.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts