2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am currently investigating an oil consumption issue on my brothers 8G 1.8 hatch, basically it starts consuming oil 5/6k after a change, his dealer supposedly uses 5w30 Petronas Syntium, no other specs on the invoices and we topup with Petronas Syntium 3000 FR 5w30 A5/B5 SN, the car is serviced every 12 months or 12.5k miles whichever comes first (Honda 12).

No leaks from what I can see, can't find any records of a valve clearance check recently so could probably start with that, I could also change the oil and filter if need be.

None of our other Honda's consume a drop of oil between services but they use Castrol or Shell on B,D,F and K engines.

Any views or opinions welcome, thanks.

· Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What’s the mileage?

for my 8g and later 9g 1.8 I found I had to top up between services after it reached over 70,000 miles
102k, last service was around 96k back in March. The oil is checked weekly and only this past week it was near the minimum on the dipstick hatching, week before it was near the top and is checked when the engine is stone cold. It does around 300 motorway miles a week currently.

Natural wear is something to consider, thanks.

· Premium Member
62 Posts
The oil is checked weekly and only this past week it was near the minimum on the dipstick hatching, week before it was near the top and is checked when the engine is stone cold. It does around 300 motorway miles a week currently.
Coincidentally my commute was 60 motorway miles, so same per week. However I never saw a large drop in just 1 week, it was over a much longer period.

· Registered
549 Posts
Hi all.

I am currently investigating an oil consumption issue on my brothers 8G 1.8 hatch, basically it starts consuming oil 5/6k after a change, his dealer supposedly uses 5w30 Petronas Syntium, no other specs on the invoices and we topup with Petronas Syntium 3000 FR 5w30 A5/B5 SN, the car is serviced every 12 months or 12.5k miles whichever comes first (Honda 12).

No leaks from what I can see, can't find any records of a valve clearance check recently so could probably start with that, I could also change the oil and filter if need be.

None of our other Honda's consume a drop of oil between services but they use Castrol or Shell on B,D,F and K engines.

Any views or opinions welcome, thanks.
As engines get older they start to use a little oil especially anything with vtec, I switched to 5w40 fully synthetic and my k series engine does not burn a drop, I would recommend switching to a higher grade on your next service.

· Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coincidentally my commute was 60 motorway miles, so same per week. However I never saw a large drop in just 1 week, it was over a much longer period.
Yeah I find it strange it does this, like I said it doesn't use any oil for the first 5/6k after a change.

Is your exhaust tail pipe very sooty? And no, that wasn't a euphemism :ROFLMAO:
Not anymore than usual ;). What are you thinking, PCV or just burning oil? The exhaust doesn't have that oil burning smell nor puffing blue smoke.

As engines get older they start to use a little oil especially anything with vtec, I switched to 5w40 fully synthetic and my k series engine does not burn a drop, I would recommend switching to a higher grade on your next service.
Thanks for the suggestion!

· i-Dtec
5,546 Posts
I use Petronas Syntium 7000 0w/20 in mine and it uses no oil over the 7500 I do a year. If your brothers car is using 1lt in 5/6k you have nothing to worry about, that exceeds manufacturers spec of 1lt/1000k by a long way.

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Mine's lost about a 5th from the top of the dipstick in 2 and a half thousand miles of gentle driving.

I use 0w-20.

May go back to 5w-30 as I've heard it lowers the engine injector noise! Plus if I change my weekend car it might be something that runs on 5w-30 so I can just buy it by the barrel and save £...

· Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. So I have put around 2.5 litres in total and consumption has stabilised, the next service is due in April, current mileage is around 107k.

Might just start doing an interim oil and filter change at around 6250 miles after a service.

Thanks guys.

· Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update 2 for anyone that is interested.

So the car was main dealer serviced at 108640 miles back in the April and is now on 114885, it has lost about 1/2 on the dipstick over 6245 miles which is worse than before.

Checked the invoice and it appears they have switched from Petronas Syntium 5w30 to Castrol Magnatec 0w30 with no other specs so I give them a call to find out exactly which Magnatec they used, as you can probably guess they were clueless.

So I picked up some Castrol Edge 0w30 A5/B5 and changed it over the weekend using an OE RBA filter.

Also whomever installed the sump plug the last time did it up so tight it deformed the crush washer so much that I had to cut it off and there would be no way I could get the filter off without the correct tool. Certainly not 39 N.m and 12 N.m tight respectively.

As usual if you want something done right do it yourself with a torque wrench.

· Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final update.

Well after all of that work my brother decided it was time to say goodbye to the 8G 1.8 Sport and hello to a facelift 9G 1.8 SR with 37k miles.

His 8G was a workhorse that need a little too much upcoming work. Rusted roof again, fixed twice already under warranty. Wheel bearings, probably all of them. Front brakes and front tyres, rear beam rust was starting become a worry.

Final mileage under his ownership was 116224 and didn't use a drop of Edge 0w30 A5/B5 since the last change at 114885.

Well at least the roof won't rust.;)
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Nothing on that list is insurmountable nor all that expensive.

Although cars is always time vs money I suppose.

If my rear beam went I'd probably get rid of my car mind you even though it's probably only a day or two of work screwing in a new one.

Nice 9g, low mileage so should be good for many years!

· Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nothing on that list is insurmountable nor all that expensive.

Although cars is always time vs money I suppose.

If my rear beam went I'd probably get rid of my car mind you even though it's probably only a day or two of work screwing in a new one.

Nice 9g, low mileage so should be good for many years!
I agree, he preferred to put the money towards the 9G over the parts for the 8G as I would have to buy tools for the bearings, front speed sensors because you know they are not coming out and get it aligned again, also the roof was no longer under warranty so would cost to put right. Was also looking at 10G's but put off by 1.0 wet belt issues/costs, 1.5 oil dilution and A/C condensers.

The rear beam, well there is nothing on the MOT about it but as I was under there doing the heat shield washer mod again recently, it didn't look great to me so would probably get picked up on the next MOT.

Not been under the 9G yet but I believe it is more covered than the 8G.

It amazes me just how different the ride quality is on the same size wheel, kudos to the chassis dynamics team.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts