2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Well i finally let the engine settle and go cold and checked the dip stick... Pleased to see that there is still plenty of oil in there. Bearing in mind i went on an 200 mile journey the day the warning message came up. So my theory is that if you drive for long periods of time, i assume all the oil moves around and sticks to the side and falsly sends out a warning message because it thinks its low, when its not! :-?
I have been on several longer trips with my 1,8 and never had this issue.

·
Vroooom!
245 Posts
I have been on several longer trips with my 1,8 and never had this issue.

oooooo really!!!
ok... the dealer has told me to slowely add some oil till you reach the level EXACT and then every 500 miles or so do a check... see how much has been used? If there seems to be an issue, i have to get it checked out. There are most definately no engine leaks or patches of oil on the floor (as i park in a garage)
Whatever it is... its still under warranty... we hope anyway!!!

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
oooooo really!!!
ok... the dealer has told me to slowely add some oil till you reach the level EXACT and then every 500 miles or so do a check... see how much has been used? If there seems to be an issue, i have to get it checked out. There are most definately no engine leaks or patches of oil on the floor (as i park in a garage)
Whatever it is... its still under warranty... we hope anyway!!!
Done over 400 miles in a day several times...no such issues.

·
Vroooom!
245 Posts
Done over 400 miles in a day several times...no such issues.
Thanks for the info... i think i should be more stubborn and go get the dealer to check it out now! An Engine issue is always a biggy!!!

Ironic that that was the first time i have gone on such a journey... (200 miles roughly) seriously! I only drive about 80 mile round trip the most in a day!

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Thanks for the info... i think i should be more stubborn and go get the dealer to check it out now! An Engine issue is always a biggy!!!

Ironic that that was the first time i have gone on such a journey... (200 miles roughly) seriously! I only drive about 80 mile round trip the most in a day!
Did you get an ! as per the wiki for a sensor failiure:

Oil - Civinfo Wiki

·
Vroooom!
245 Posts
no...

i had a 'written' message saying check engine oil!!!

not sounding good is it???

there were no symbols that came up!

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
no...

i had a 'written' message saying check engine oil!!!

not sounding good is it???

there were no symbols that came up!
It could all be a one-off electrical gremlin.

So first time the message came up you really did need to fill oil, but second time not. :confused:

·
Vroooom!
245 Posts
I drove the car for about 8000 miles before the oil needed adding the first time, so it was my fault that i didnt check it properly...

The issue i have now, is that its only been about 2000 miles since topping the oil and the message came up.

From being able to drive 8000 miles perfectly, to only 2000 miles...

I think its a trip to the dealer again for me... :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
The oil level light does seem to be a bit random - it's only there as a bonus. The dipstick is what you should use.
(...)
If ever the oil pressure light comes on, then this means there is no oil at the input, and you are currently damaging your engine.
Yes it is an extra, a bonus ... But still it works and, I think it works fine ...
For 3 times already it went on, and for 3 times the oil level was a bit under the min., so it goes on when you still have same oil and, I think it's the correct way. This way you still manage to get into a mecanic ...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes it is an extra, a bonus ... But still it works and, I think it works fine ...
For 3 times already it went on, and for 3 times the oil level was a bit under the min., so it goes on when you still have same oil and, I think it's the correct way. This way you still manage to get into a mecanic ...
Why not just check the oil every week like I do? The manual says to check it at every fuel stop, it seems excessive but Honda are covering their backs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why not just check the oil every week like I do? The manual says to check it at every fuel stop, it seems excessive but Honda are covering their backs.

I like cars, but for me they are a way to get into the places. I like to change some things in a car, to put them on my taste.
If I gave so much money for 1 car, at least I use all the nice fictures :). And I don't have patiance to do it every weeks, there's so much nicer things to do [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I like cars, but for me they are a way to get into the places. I like to change some things in a car, to put them on my taste.
If I gave so much money for 1 car, at least I use all the nice fictures :). And I don't have patiance to do it every weeks, there's so much nicer things to do [smilie=cheeky-grin:[/quote]
I understand what you are saying, but if you end up damaging your engine Honda won't pay up! I do over 250 miles a week so it piece of mind for me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but if you end up damaging your engine Honda won't pay up! I do over 250 miles a week so it piece of mind for me!

But do you really think that this way I can damage the engine ? :?:
When the light is on it means that is time to check oil and add a little more. But still there is some oil. At least this is what I think and, from what I've seen, there's enough oil. :confused:

Usually, if I'm doing long drives, I check the oil before ...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Waiting for the oil light to come on is just bloody lazy, some people spend hours cleaning there cars yet the most critical checks ie oil and other fluids are ignored until the car tells you to do something about it. FFS! :banghead:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Waiting for the oil light to come on is just bloody lazy, some people spend hours cleaning there cars yet the most critical checks ie oil and other fluids are ignored until the car tells you to do something about it. FFS! :banghead:

Mhmm, isn't waiting for the light :D, is it normal that after 5.983 kms the oil light turn on ??? And again after 12.600 (+/-) and, once more after the first inspection, between 26.000 - 27.000 kms ...
At Honda they told me yes.
And you know, I don't live for the car [smilie=cheeky-grin:, I've got the car to enjoy myself with it ... Almost it only gets clean when it goes for the inspection :D

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Faulty Oil level sensor

As my car is a lease car I never need to check oil levels/ tyre pressures etc. (just joking). My oil level sensor fault light came on today not he usual oil level low this is actually a sensor fault, rather than the dealers fixing the sensor (big job apparently) they flashed the ECU with an update to stop it flagging up. So now I have to resort to getting my hands dirty and using the dipstick? W-T-F? To make matters worse I had a superchips 170bhp ECU re-map which seems to no longer be present arrggh!

(Yes I superchipped my lease vehicle, sshh!)

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
My oil light came on the other day. I had already checked the level before setting off, so I knew it was not the oil level. I was stuck in a traffic jam for ages and when I set off normally again, it came on. I stopped, restarted the car, no light. I then left it in a car park for an hour, came back..no oil light. 10 mins into the journey.. oil light on again.
Its not done it since...Strange?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi.
I have been topping up the oil every 2000/3000 miles for the past year, I do around 150 miles a day, mostly motorway and traffic. I have noticed that if I do 70 mph then the oil lasts a lot longer, If I do more than this then it seems to eat oil. The garage changed The OIL 6 weeks ago for The 37k Service and had to pull over tonight to put another half litre in... The garage say it is normal and won't do anything about it... I have a 2.2 sport 07 with 41k on the clock. Also just had the clutch replaced. My last car, a focus only needed topped up once between services... Any thoughts guys & guys....

Thank

neil

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Hi.
I have been topping up the oil every 2000/3000 miles for the past year, I do around 150 miles a day, mostly motorway and traffic. I have noticed that if I do 70 mph then the oil lasts a lot longer, If I do more than this then it seems to eat oil. The garage changed The OIL 6 weeks ago for The 37k Service and had to pull over tonight to put another half litre in... The garage say it is normal and won't do anything about it... I have a 2.2 sport 07 with 41k on the clock. Also just had the clutch replaced. My last car, a focus only needed topped up once between services... Any thoughts guys & guys....

Thank

neil
Hi,I expect you had done well over 4000 miles when you topped up with the half litre.As your dealer says,probably not excessive.If you're using 0w-30,I'd be tempted to try a 5w-40,or perhaps better,0w-40

41 - 60 of 62 Posts