2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got oil warning light on. i have just filled up with petrol and decided to get a litre of oil to top it up but garage only had 5w-30! Is this ok to use?
Cheers

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
Just got oil warning light on. i have just filled up with petrol and decided to get a litre of oil to top it up but garage only had 5w-30! Is this ok to use?
Cheers
as its only to top up with, i cant see any probs using it, but i'm no expert!

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
I would wait for an expert response rather then a hunch, no offence to The Vision

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Just checked again and its semi-synthetic and not fully-synthetic. mmmm?
You cant mix types! Only the grade. So 5w30 fully synthetic is fine but 5w30 semi synthetic is bad.

Not sue how bad but im sure someone will come along to explain.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
You cant mix types! Only the grade. So 5w30 fully synthetic is fine but 5w30 semi synthetic is bad.

Not sue how bad but im sure someone will come along to explain.
Say if you have only recently got the car, how are you supposed to know what is already in there??

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Say if you have only recently got the car, how are you supposed to know what is already in there??
Honda states that only fully synthetic should be used so it shouldnt be in there.

Honda wil always use 0w30 or you can also use 0w40, 5w30 or 5w40 depending on climate and who does it.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
As a top up it will be fine , The days of non mixing of oils are gone as oils are now semi synthetics so will blend ok with fully synthetics .
Id rather use this than run on a low level but why not get the right oil?
As it effectively lowers the quality of the oil, depends how long it has been in and when you are to change if its not long its fine .

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
I would wait for an expert response rather then a hunch, no offence to The Vision
no offence taken :) was in the same situation a while back & asked on here, the response from oilman (opie oils) was the same as i gave...and the oil i got late at night wasn't as good as the op's!

better to have something in there rather than nothing...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts