2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously naive and can't really be bothered to understand the concept of which oil is good and which isn't. So, I'll just simply ask; is Castrol Edge 4L 5W-40 Engine Oil a recommended product to use?

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, the numbers. Are they better higher or lower?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It just means how thick they are below 0 degrees i IIRC.

so thickness depending on temperature.

doesnt really matter too much tbh as long as its fully synthetic.

cant go wrong with anything inbetween.

Im sure someone will be along to contradict shortly as i may be talking absolute balls.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It just means how thick they are below 0 degrees i IIRC.

so thickness depending on temperature.

doesnt really matter too much tbh as long as its fully synthetic.

cant go wrong with anything inbetween.

Im sure someone will be along to contradict shortly as i may be talking absolute balls.
I think it's Fahrenheit rather than Celcius but that's correct. Lower number before the W (which means Winter) means a more "fluid" oil; then the same applies after the W but I think that's at about 200F.
Thin oil in cold weather makes it easier to start the engine, and then thicker oil at higher temperature means it can deal with more heat.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
You will find your MPG is improved using 0w-30 oil. (as recommended by Honda)

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Is this correct F6HAD?
A garage serviced mine and put 10w40 in... if this is the case I will be heading back first thing in the morning with a very bad attitude!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes! and let's hope you make it back there with your engine in one piece.

You could probably get away with 5w30, but why take the chance. 10W40 is suicide though. And I don't care what rubbish it says in the manual, our experience with this engine for over 4 years now tells me otherwise and there is a reason Honda recommends 0w/30 to all their dealers.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, someone is going to get a good verbal hiding tomorrow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.