2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'57 Milano Red FN2 GT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

So I have Hondas model chart vs oil 'weight'(that's not and never was weight).

It says 5-40 for the K20A, A1 and A2. It says 0-30 OR 5-40 fir the K20Z4.

I was thinking of Fuchs(Silkolene) Titan Pro Race S 5-40, Castries Edge 5-40 BUT... I'm also thinking Honda's primary recommendation was 0-30. They knew their reliability was on the line so they wouldn't recommend an oil unfit for purpose.

So with that in mind, on a 70k mile full service history car, what would you go with? Honda are out of their Petrol 0-30.

Also, how much more free revving would a 30 thickness be over a 40 or God forbid a 60(obviously I wouldn't put a 60 in a road car). And would a 40 lose any noticeable power? (Less parasitic drag)

The car is really just a P&J car for me, never ragged, driven hard for maybe 5mins once a week.

I'm guessing there's next to no difference. Between a 30 and a 40 for me.

Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
personally ill never use silkolene again
few years back i changed oil in 1 off my bikes and couldnt keep it in was topping up all the time after switching back to castrol it never used a drop of oil between oil changes
when i had my 8g 2.2 it done over 185000 miles on castrol edge and never used a drop of oil engine was still strong after all that millage and it got a oil change every year but was over the recommended millage every time

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Silkolene is hideously ovepriced, someone I know used to use it and claim it gave one extra bhp.... Castrol Edge isn't cheap in that plastic gold can either however!!!

I currently use 0w-20 in the 1.8 but will try 5w-30 next time as some say it quietens the injection tick which can be a bit irritating. The car is uses for economy and not for fun!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I suspect Honda primary reason for recommending 0w-30 or 0w-20 ( 10g) is so that they can declare lower fuel consumption and emissions, and for the stop/start system, rather than engine longevity well past the warranty mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I suspect Honda primary reason for recommending 0w-30 or 0w-20 ( 10g) is so that they can declare lower fuel consumption and emissions, and for the stop/start system, rather than engine longevity well past the warranty mileage.
You are spot on. Engine longevity as well, but better fuel economy and emissions are the driving force.

Cheers,

Guy

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
5w-30/5w-40 is what I would recommend. Look for PAO/Ester based oil from Opieoils. Redline, Amsoil, Millers, Extreme AMG - new player on the market and apparently best oil blending around.
GTL oils from Shell and Mobil have some good analysis results as well and cost considerably less.

I would like to try myself Amsoil SS 5w30 for winter use, but the price with theirs funky can sizes is too high.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Silkolene is hideously ovepriced, someone I know used to use it and claim it gave one extra bhp.... Castrol Edge isn't cheap in that plastic gold can either however!!!

I currently use 0w-20 in the 1.8 but will try 5w-30 next time as some say it quietens the injection tick which can be a bit irritating. The car is uses for economy and not for fun!
silkolene does give extra horsepower on dyno
its a lot thinner and thats why some engines burn it so easy
silkolene is used by a lot of racers they change oil every meeting so dont worry about how long it lasts like road users do

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
silkolene is used by a lot of racers they change oil every meeting so dont worry about how long it lasts like road users do
lol!! Well I guess every day is a school day :D

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
my mate owned a dyno tunning shop for bikes so ive seen it with my own eyes but i allready new the reports and it all made sense from my own experience
there is a well known bike tuner that tuned a lot of race bike that first questioned the life of silkolene when the 1 make championship he was tuning for started blowing engines

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I am not speaking about the bike stuff, but the Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 for cars, now Fuchs Titan Race 5w-40 has a standard additive pack for service intervals, depending on use it is plenty good for 10-12,000 miles or once a year, whatever comes first.

Cheers,

Guy

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,530 Posts
Comes in ideal for old oil storage once you empty it too.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Thanks to the pandemic, there have been huge increases in basestock and additive prices. It has even effected the cheap and chearful stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts